Full time part time with a twist

Isaac

So, I have a wierd job and at this point a fifth wheel seems to be my best bet so I'm giving up my apartment that saw me a week a month for 1,600 a month for a fifth wheel and found two I like then I hit the warranty clause and read some good threads but have questions. 

I'm a business continuity / disaster manager for a living. I'm "home" about 25% of the time and travel with my dog the other 75 % which makes hi hotels a PITA not to mention some locations have pretty bad hotels. 

My tow vehicle will be a 2017 F250 super duty, long bed, crew cab. 

My average operating environment is -10 for bad winter months with risk of serious snow (6" in a night isn't out.of the question) (not that I'm going to pull out in a blizzard) and rarely over 100 in the summer. 

Temps for winter in the 20-40 range are the norm for my whole coverage region. I've been looking at the Silver Fox/Artic Fox edition and a Cougar - both are just under 30'. 

I'll be pulling through the Cascades in WA and up and down the 395 coridor in E. WA, for vacations I do like to go to Joshua Tree but I'm adding this as a fringe benefit.

I'm planning on adding a generator and am considering solar for extra battery tending as depending on the site I'll have to run without power provided. 

I can't find web info on the Artic Foxes in regards to non vacation only use and am worried about which is likely best for pulling in the mountains. 

I looked at a great one from a company that warrants up front for full time but the models I saw were all double sided slide outs, longer, over 10,000 lbs dry and over 60k base. 

Any thoughts?  

Planning to add additional AGM batteries and improved charging to not have to trickle charge on a generator - at a bad regional disaster I could be parked near 20+ other trailers so keeping.people up to watch TV might be bad...

My prior experience was with fed/FEMA trailers which are similar to park models but not as nice and ugly/heavy.

Hi Isaac - welcome -  I have full timed in a Roughneck trailer since November.   Check them out.  They are 4 season  full time trailers.  Rear office/living room plan, plenty of heat and a/c,  lots of storage, full size shower, no sawdust&glue board, large tanks, spray foam insulated underbelly.  Great views from the living room.  Double stacked 5-1/2" tubing frame and no slides -  I imagine slides don't stand up to resource industry backroad use and -30 winter weather.  A few for sale now on www.kijiji.ca.  My trailer was owned by a drilling site professional not as accomodation for "employees" and is in excellent condition. New ones are now built by General Coach. 

Mine weighs around 11,000lbs road ready. 

Send me a private message if you want more info.  

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Welcome to the Escapee forums! I am sure that you will get some solid advice here as we do our best to help everyone. 

While the Arctic Fox is a good choice, I would advise looking at all of the choices offered by Northwoods Mfg. as they enjoy an excellent reputation. You may also want to look at the Work & Play from Forest River as they seem to be intended for your type of use. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived