Buying and Registering a new vehicle

tickvball

I am a full time RV’r with my wife and we are domiciled in Texas.   We have been living in Whitefish, Montana at an RV park since December 2015 and are currently house hunting in the in the area to reside permanently.  My wife has a full time job in Whitefish, MT and I work remotely.

My question is:  We would like to purchase a second vehicle (used) but I cannot register it in Montana because we do not have a Montana license nor do we have a lease and we do not own property yet. I have confirmed this with the Montana DMV...  And I can't register it in Texas because I think we have to do it in the state....Is this correct?

So what am I supposed to do? What does everyone do when they buy new trucks? Do you have to buy them in the state you are domiciled so you can register them?

Although we are currently actively house hunting, we do not have an expected date of purchase and I'm not sure we can't wait to buy the second vehicle.  So is there a way we can purchase and register the vehicle now?

Thank you for your time,

-Sam

11 minutes ago, tickvball said:

Although we are currently actively house hunting, we do not have an expected date of purchase. Would it be smarter to wait until we’ve purchased a house and become official residence of Montana?

Only someone familiar with MT laws could give specific advice in this case, but if it were me I think that I would wait to buy the new vehicle. It would also avoid the extra expense of registering it first in TX and then again in MT. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks Kirk!  Registering an older vehicle in Montana is less than 30 dollars so the added expense doesn't really concern me.  Its pretty important to get a second vehicle as soon as we can.

I'm wondering what full timers do when they upgrade their existing trucks, rv's and toads?  Do they then have to drive to their state of domicile to register their vehicle?

Just now, tickvball said:

Do they then have to drive to their state of domicile to register their vehicle?

In most cases, no. 

Could you not use your address in the RV park you live in as an address to title and register the second vehicle and then just do an address change when the time comes? TX isn't that bad to register in but we do have a 6.25% sales tax on vehicles that you would be required to pay. 

In 2014 i purchased a new Honda CR-V  in the state of California.  We own no property there and are official full-time RVers domiciled in Texas through the Escapee services. All our licences are Texas.  When we purchased the CR-V, the dealer handled there paperwork for proper Texas registration and sales tax.  All very simple and above board.  We do have to get our motor home and car safety inspected within 7 days of re-entry into the state. Our annual registrations are handled by mail.  It's  all God.  As always, oRV

oRV

75065 Lifetime Member

2010 Phaeton 40 QTH

2014 Honda CR-V Toad

9 hours ago, Orvil Hazelton said:

When we purchased the CR-V, the dealer handled there paperwork for proper Texas registration and sales tax.  All very simple and above board.

But the catch is, Orv still had to pay sales tax, which MT does not have. 

Archived