Journey from NY to Florida . New to boondocking

Tasheka keyes

Traveling from NY to Florida and then to Arizona. Looking for real places and ideas of where to stay

I've done a few cites and everyone wants a membership fee.  Just don't want to pay, if it's fake site's. Leaving new York in December . With a travel trailer. Hook ups and services are a plus but not required. 

54 minutes ago, Tasheka keyes said:

...Traveling from NY to Florida and then to Arizona...Leaving new York in December . With a travel trailer. Hook ups and services are a plus but not required...

In December, you may want at least electric until you get a ways South. If so, there are relatively few RV parks open at that time of year until you get to Virginia Beach on the coastal route or around Washington D.C. and South on I-95. There is one RV Park, Philadelphia South KOA, in NJ near I-295 that is open all year. If you take the coastal route, I believe the Visitor Center just North of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel still allows overnights. There are several RV parks and a state park in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area. From Virginia Beach South along US-13 or US-17 there are a number of private and public facilities.

Some folks starting in Northern NY and New England like to take a more inland route to miss the Philadelphia, Washington, Baltimore and Richmond areas. This usuall includes I-81. If staying on I-81 through Virginia, you will have to watch the weather because it does go through the mountains where snow and bad road conditions are more common.

Depending on when you will be travelling from Florida to Arizona, there are several possible routes. In the winter, I-10 or the U.S. highways that parallel it will have the best weather conditions.

These websites may be of interest to you: Free Campsites, Campendium free camping, Ultimate Public Campground Project, Escapees Days End Directory.

We run down to Florida from upstate NY in early January each year using an I-88, I-81, I-77, I-26, I-95 routing. We have no problems finding parks that are open all year, starting with two near Jonestown, PA, and then one in northern Virginia and another in southern Virginia. Once we get into North Carolina, there's plenty of parks to pick from for overnight stops. We take our time and generally don't drive more than 3-4 hours each day.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If going down 95 in Delaware there is Lums Pond state park in Bear De that is now open year round with full hook ups, they also have nice heated bath house if you don't want to de winterize yet. Warning tho all sites are back ins no pull thru sites at all for those not wanting to unhook their toad. Goos luck and enjoy

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Archived