Are you using a Composting Toilet in your RV?

gypsydan

There are many composting toilet models out there. There's also the C-Head, Sun-Mar and others. The more you look the more you'll find. Not all are separation toilets, and that's the key. You want to keep the solids separate from the liquids to keep the smell and toxicity down.

Well no, that's not true. Not absolute anyway about the smells and "toxicity". The part about the brands and types is true.

A non separation bucket toilet "can" have no smell (until dumping, and even then...) if used properly. You can view hundreds of youtube videos on people that try various brands and model types, but do not read the directions, or they try to cheap out on medium materials etc., and they fail. They make complaints about things that many others have absolutely no issues with.

As I said, I use a non separating bucket loo in my house. It took about 3-4 weeks to learn the dos and donts. Right now, if you stepped inside my house, you would never guess there is a bucket of................well,...crap, in the house. I found that the cheap peat moss is just that, cheap. I found a peat with a higher moisture content and mix it with fine local saw dust that has been screened and chipped to the consistent size. It works awesome.

I'm a work'n on it.

We will stick with the holding tanks..

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

My campers always develop a fresh water leak at I leave the campground. Geez, at least I wait until I am on the road!!!

Next time ask the BLM Ranger about the oil BLM uses on their roads and how that impact compares to water. I would also ask a question about common sense in law enforcement.

Composting toilet do work. They require lots of maintenance, but for a RV'er no more than a black tank. For a composting toilet to work in a RV you really need to remove the black tank and open an access door to the composting unit on the side of the RV.

They do NOT work at all in cold climates. So that is one consideration.

The upside is that a properly functioning composting will not have to be dumped very often. The downside is I am not sure where you could legally dump the contents except at a sewer plant and they probably would not take it!! We had one set of composting toilets in a ferry terminal that worked perfectly for 30 years. We paid lots of money to get rid of 11 others.

I have noticed that many of the Federal Rangers are short on good sense and LONG on P.C.

I believe that comes from hugging to many Locus trees. Something in the sap.

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

Archived