Commercial hdt to rv use only title and registration

Lance Williams

Politicians have long memories. About a decade ago there was a guy in Tucson trying to do the HDT registration. He started with the "town fathers" in Tucson and moved up to the state level when that didn't work. Folks in this group tried to help him but it was for naught since his "conversation model" with the powers to be was someplace between those of Ralph Nader and Reverend Sharpton. All he managed to do was to stiffen everybody's back since it's always easier for bureaucrats (and less risky) to say NO rather than to try a new solution to something they are ignorant about.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Politicians have long memories. About a decade ago there was a guy in Tucson trying to do the HDT registration. He started with the "town fathers" in Tucson and moved up to the state level when that didn't work. Folks in this group tried to help him but it was for naught since his "conversation model" with the powers to be was someplace between those of Ralph Nader and Reverend Sharpton. All he managed to do was to stiffen everybody's back since it's always easier for bureaucrats (and less risky) to say NO rather than to try a new solution to something they are ignorant about.

Henry you ole goat.......there ya go letting the cat out of the bag again......thats what happens when we get to that 'Golden Age" ......just before we start forgetting most things "we" seem able to recall much of the "history" that leads to why "things: are they are today........,

The funny thing about Arizona is that while the "State-Managers" will not allow any HDT's to become RV's .......they sure seem to welcome a few thousand "out-of-state-HDT-RV's" every winter to come and visit and of course REALLY welcome our $$$$.......

In Oregon where 10's of thousands of motor homes have been factory and home-built it is silly-simple to get almost anything with wheels registered as a motor home at the DMV at $13 / foot so it's all about the $$$$ in Oregon also....... now IF you get caught using your Oregon-HDT-MH" as a commercial rig they get real Nasty $$$$$ so if you stand back you might start to see a trend here ........

Going "quasi-commercial-HDT-RV" in Az is in reality Just good for the economy and the group of players are well seasoned folks that have been in place since Arizona became a state.........not many of the "Phoenix-Forty" are elected but make no mistake, history has proven time and time again that dealing with these entrenched "folks" IS the way things get done .......or.....NOT done in AZ...........

Drive on.......(Stay on the good side of the........."40")

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Does this apply to out of state tourist with rigs that are legal in home state?

Drivers licensing and registration are dependent on your home state. Anything else (length, towing doubles, etc) is based on the state you are driving in.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Henry you ole goat.......there ya go letting the cat out of the bag again......thats what happens when we get to that 'Golden Age" ......just before we start forgetting most things "we" seem able to recall much of the "history" that leads to why "things: are they are today........,

The funny thing about Arizona is that while the "State-Managers" will not allow any HDT's to become RV's .......they sure seem to welcome a few thousand "out-of-state-HDT-RV's" every winter to come and visit and of course REALLY welcome our $$$$.......

In Oregon where 10's of thousands of motor homes have been factory and home-built it is silly-simple to get almost anything with wheels registered as a motor home at the DMV at $13 / foot so it's all about the $$$$ in Oregon also....... now IF you get caught using your Oregon-HDT-MH" as a commercial rig they get real Nasty $$$$$ so if you stand back you might start to see a trend here ........

Going "quasi-commercial-HDT-RV" in Az is in reality Just good for the economy and the group of players are well seasoned folks that have been in place since Arizona became a state.........not many of the "Phoenix-Forty" are elected but make no mistake, history has proven time and time again that dealing with these entrenched "folks" IS the way things get done .......or.....NOT done in AZ...........

Drive on.......(Stay on the good side of the........."40")

Dolly, I readily agree to be a bit of a carmudgeon and the older I get the more crusty I get. 'Cause' I study esoteric things, try to make sense of them, ask questions, reach conclusions (mostly wrong according to many people). I probably will be flamed by fine public employees, but here's an example of my "esoteric musings".

In round numbers:

US population, around 300 milion

Number of federal, state and local employees around 20 million.

Ratio, about 15 : 1

Conclusion number one. Every grouping of 15 of us (men, women and children) apparently requires one government worker (overseer, controller, mitigator, etc, etc) to keep us straight in spite of ourselves.

Conclusion number two. Every grouping of 15 those who actually work (subtracting, children, unemployed, retired, etc.) support one government employee. Government might pay them but the actual cash comes from us.

Now here is where things could be a bit "touchy" in this environment of political correctness.

IQ%252520bell%252520curve.png

An IQ bell curve of our population.

Nice healthy chunk of average (68.3%) in the middle. What interests me are the two 13.6% percent of above average and below average on either side.

The question I have whether the folks in the right 13.6% are inclined to become a government employee as their first choice of a career or calling.

As I recall the Tucson and Arizona battle to register the HDT (it went for months), the logic employed, the "discoveries" by papers of the backgrounds and shenanigans of the politicians and municipal "heavies" involved, their reasoning and "pronouncements", I felt that this group was heavily populated by the members of the 13.6% on the left.

In an interest of full disclosure being involved in municipal governance (as an elected official), I recognize the need for public employees for communities to function and function well. But that functioning is based primarily by following tight scripts regardless whether those "scripts" were well taught out, involve common sense, or current conditions. I've known public employees who would "venture" off script to solve a problem or an unusual situation, but these folks were rare and if they erred by doing this, boy, did they pay the price.

Henry,

I like your thought process. I too, have served (and am currently serving), in a judiciary position with the gov't. So I have experienced these things, from behind the scenes.

But, where your bell curve comes up short is in the overlap, or lack thereof, of common sense. Rarely do IQ and common sense meet.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Dolly, I readily agree to be a bit of a carmudgeon and the older I get the more crusty I get. 'Cause' I study esoteric things, try to make sense of them, ask questions, reach conclusions (mostly wrong according to many people). I probably will be flamed by fine public employees, but here's an example of my "esoteric musings".

In round numbers:

US population, around 300 milion

Number of federal, state and local employees around 20 million.

Ratio, about 15 : 1

Conclusion number one. Every grouping of 15 of us (men, women and children) apparently requires one government worker (overseer, controller, mitigator, etc, etc) to keep us straight in spite of ourselves.

Conclusion number two. Every grouping of 15 those who actually work (subtracting, children, unemployed, retired, etc.) support one government employee. Government might pay them but the actual cash comes from us.

Now here is where things could be a bit "touchy" in this environment of political correctness.

IQ%252520bell%252520curve.png

An IQ bell curve of our population.

Nice healthy chunk of average (68.3%) in the middle. What interests me are the two 13.6% percent of above average and below average on either side.

The question I have whether the folks in the right 13.6% are inclined to become a government employee as their first choice of a career or calling.

As I recall the Tucson and Arizona battle to register the HDT (it went for months), the logic employed, the "discoveries" by papers of the backgrounds and shenanigans of the politicians and municipal "heavies" involved, their reasoning and "pronouncements", I felt that this group was heavily populated by the members of the 13.6% on the left.

In an interest of full disclosure being involved in municipal governance (as an elected official), I recognize the need for public employees for communities to function and function well. But that functioning is based primarily by following tight scripts regardless whether those "scripts" were well taught out, involve common sense, or current conditions. I've known public employees who would "venture" off script to solve a problem or an unusual situation, but these folks were rare and if they erred by doing this, boy, did they pay the price.

Henry,

I like your thought process. I too, have served (and am currently serving), in a judiciary position with the gov't. So I have experienced these things, from behind the scenes.

But, where your bell curve comes up short is in the overlap, or lack thereof, of common sense. Rarely do IQ and common sense meet.

Henry & Rick,

This forum contains "Deep-Pools-of-Knowledge-&-Experience(s)" and both of you are at least as "Deep" as Crater Lake here in Oregon (the deepest lake in the state 1,943 ft) so perhaps you two are able to shed light on many of the eternal mysteries of the "HDT world such as the Original question of this thread..........

Now........unlike you two "Deep-Fellows" (DF), I on the other hand, am a mere mud-puddle that seems to get a bit more shallow with each passing day....sorta a desert puddle after a Arizona summer thunder shower.........so please consider the "source" here.....

"What IF".......we were to take "Henry's-Chart" and plot a "Inverse-Curve" below the base-line and plot the "Rick-Common-Sense-Factor" (RCSF) data.........AND then overlay plot with the "Arizona-HDT-Non-RV" (AHNR)curve line as well..........at first consideration one may say that not much to plot here BUT consider that we are talking about negative-values below the baseline and Rick seems to allude to say that the RCSF is often a "Negative-Experience"........so if this hypothesis has any legs the chart might be rather ......... telling......

Now consider the potential large negative numbers of the AHRR data points one would seriously consider how big the paper one might need to plot this chart........another project for the Deep-Fellows......

So now that we seem to be "Deep-Drilling-Into-Root-Cause-of-the-AZ-Non-HDT" (DDIRCAND)......{Whew}..... it seems that we might be close to the micro-factors in play that protects Arizona residents from "Home-Growen-HDT's" (HGH)........

Drive on..........(Seems AZ-HDT's are just one big.........Plot)

P S.........Maybe "plot" a chart for Calf. next..........IF we could find paper the size of........TX ?

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Absolutely spot on! Higher IQ is "helpful" in obtaining common sense, but it doesn't come from books or our PC infested colleges these days. It closely dovetails life experiences. If you served your country and been overseas, you are likely to have more common sense if you didn't. If you build something, fix something or create something, you are likely to have more common sense if you didn't. If you got involved in government in the "applied area" you are likely to have more common sense, if you didn't. Let me "clarify", planning and funding street repair, bridge construction, funding police and fire, funding and creating safety net for those less fortunate or able, etc., all those help in obtaining common sense in that area, community organizing, not so much. I always had a tremendous respect for graduates and PHDs from MIT, the programs and focus in that institution is in first getting a superb theoretical knowledge but also to immediately apply that knowledge creating something useful and wanted by society. If you look at the "spectacles" of spring breaks as attended by members of "other colleges" and the "intellectual prowess" they show and express, their common sense will be slow in coming.

Now the other end of the spectrum. In my years in government I had a dubious pleasure of working with a housewife selectwoman, Hold on, hold on! Nothing wrong with housewives, we are talking about a pampered middle age, bored, "doctor's wife" who needed something to do, so she ran and got elected. It was a good thing the board had five members and the will to vote down the stupidity and proposals coming out this woman's brain. But I suppose that's government and democracy.

I would speculate that the bell curve for common sense is much narrower, and shifted slightly to the right, of the one Phoenix posted. Thus common sense would peak slightly to the "right" of the center of the IQ, but then fall off much more rapidly, reaching near zero before reaching the genius IQ levels.

So, have we deviated far enough from answering the questions of the OP?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

If you check the Resource Guide, you will find that Arizona is one of the states that does not do RV registration of a HDT. Commercial only.

Not me - but (in another "life") remember the AZ conundrum well. Too bad the forum archives were lost for that one.

Would be excellent as "refresher" reading material!

Second answer (above) to the OP's question is "spot on".

Easiest solution - register in TX or SD (SD as Non-commercial).

OR registration worked well(?) for LarryZ - but can be tough (to impossible) for non-residents.

It is what it is (or isn't).... :(

Well guys, My friend in Benson just sent me Arizona's requirements to be licensed as an RV. I told him the same thing you all did, I live here too, and licensed in South Dakota.

There are about 6 things needed, but you can slide with only 4. It can be a big truck, they will issue an Arizona title and registration showing it was converted.

Arizona Revised Statue

28-101

28-1095

28-2097

28-4301

32-1172

41-2142

Policy 13.2.3 under "MOTOR HOME"

Signed into effect May 1, 2004

I was surprised too!

Bill

Arizona Revised Statue

28-101

28-1095

28-2097

28-4301

32-1172

41-2142

Policy 13.2.3 under "MOTOR HOME

With the exception of 32-1172 which doesn't exist, the rest are sections of Definitions in the Arizona Code, which only cover the basic definition of an RV, not enough to cover a conversion. Policy 13.2.3 covers the diesel fuel tax and RVs.

28-2097 is the best indicator of Arizona law covering modular motor home as the joining of a chassis with a body, basically a Class C.

But then there is Arizona Administrative Codes. And then the AMVD can issue regulations. Tough thing is that State Codes have to be online, Regulations don't.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

The "four of six" is pretty much SOP for conversions (almost) everywhere.

However, regarding AZ - Inquiring minds would like to know - and be surprised also!..

Does your friend in Benson *own* a Heavy Duty Truck (Class 7 or 8) registered as a Motorhome in AZ?

Yes, he has 2 commercial rigs, and like myself, was out there on the road. He has retired, and wants to convert his Volvo to an RV to get away from the commercial status. He actually met with the Enforcement officer who dug into this for him.

Bill

Last year, a life long friend (Ray)was snowbirding in Wickenburg not too far from the stable where we had Dolly based......one day Ray called and said lets drive over to Yuma tomorrow and bur a used late model Chev PU listed on Craigslist.......I said ok but we need to take the Freight shaker and then I could haul 3 tons of "gourmet-hay" back for Dolly-the-paint-horse.

Next morning we hop into the Freightshaker and drive over to Yuma and meet the LEO /owner of the pickup at the police substation where he was based. The cop was a bit surprised that we picked him up in the Freightshaker but just hopped right in and away we went to the storage yard where the pickup was stored. The pickup was surplus from the a Fire dept. so it was RED but in good shape so Ray and the cop drove to the bank and I went to load the hay on the Dollytrolley.......the cop gave me a address where we were to meet later and it turned out to be a PRIVATE vendor for AZDOT/ DMV.......I waited a few minutes and then Ray and the cop arrived and I ask why did he choose a Private vendor instead of the official AZ-DMV he smiled and said that this pickup had never been registered as a private vehicle before and the folks at the Official AZ-DMV would likely take forever to try to do something out of the norm as in first time registration of as used pickup with a Gvt-bill-of-sale.........he said here at the Private vendor they have a huge private software data base that simply walks the counter person through every step in a less-than-normal-registration...

Sure enough the counter person brought out the proper forms and in about 15 minutes we walked out with everything in proper order.

Maybe do as the cop does........try a private vendor........maybe it won't work....but what you got to lose trying.....

Drive on..........(Enjoy the ride.....)

Yes, he has 2 commercial rigs, and like myself, was out there on the road. He has retired, and wants to convert his Volvo to an RV to get away from the commercial status. He actually met with the Enforcement officer who dug into this for him.

Bill

Bill -

Meeting with an enforcement officer and actually getting it done *may* have dramatically different results.

However, as DT says - no harm in tryin' - keep the forum posted on his efforts.

• 3 months later...

He converted his Volvo 780 into an RV. He did just like we posted on January20th, 2016. As far as doing the retrofit, he did the minimum required to pass. Yes, it is a full size semi, yes, he has about 2 million miles as a professional driver, he has used the truck in his coast to coast travels hauling general commodities, and he has owned "lots" of full size rigs. He is no stranger to keeping up with all the laws driving commercially, and now as an RV'r. In Arizona, you can get a different answer at every state licensing office, It is a shame the amount of stupidity we deal with in this state. Anyone in the know will go to a 3rd party rather than take a chance and spend hours at the AZ DMV.

He converted his Volvo 780 into an RV. He did just like we posted on January20th, 2016. As far as doing the retrofit, he did the minimum required to pass. Yes, it is a full size semi, yes, he has about 2 million miles as a professional driver, he has used the truck in his coast to coast travels hauling general commodities, and he has owned "lots" of full size rigs. He is no stranger to keeping up with all the laws driving commercially, and now as an RV'r. In Arizona, you can get a different answer at every state licensing office, It is a shame the amount of stupidity we deal with in this state. Anyone in the know will go to a 3rd party rather than take a chance and spend hours at the AZ DMV.

Cool so he went to a 3rd party and got it registered as an RV, Was there any inspection? or was it just question and answer? and what were the modifications he made to become an RV?

This is Good News I just hope that it doenst get "recalled" by the MVD for some moronic reason

Far as I know he took it, they looked at it and it was done. Don't know if it was 3rd party, I have to find him. He put in a porta potty, micro wave, refrigerator and a gen set. I don't think he put in a water system, I will find out. He had the bed area already.

If you find out would you mind terribly pming me? or responding to this post? I am very curious and I think a good number of others are as well..

• 1 month later...

I would also like to know as we are considering moving to Ariziona, My Volvo is already registered as a motorhome in Colorado.

Thank you

Mike

Mike, Suzan and Boomer too

1999 Volvo 770 "Devil Dog", Detroit 60, Auto Shift.

ET Hitch, ET Jackalopee, Pressure Pro, Max Brake

2004 Mobile Suites 36CK3

Semper Fi

Far as I know he took it, they looked at it and it was done. Don't know if it was 3rd party, I have to find him. He put in a porta potty, micro wave, refrigerator and a gen set. I don't think he put in a water system, I will find out. He had the bed area already.

In the past - as per many forum discussions, and prior posts to this thread - registration of a conversion of an HDT to a Motor Home in ARIZONA has been "Mission Impossible".

Be nice if you could expound on - "Far as I know".....

LOTS of folks would be most appreciative if you would contact your friend for more details and post that info... :)

Archived