Toy haulers?

runaway parents

Almost all of the ratings associated with production RV's, whatever the configuration are if not pure fantasy, are just not to be trusted. You can go all over all the forums and find many examples. When you read the fine print in the production toyhaulers owner's manual  if they do have a rated capacity of say 3000 lbs, many caveats, evenly spread, not on just 4 tires, when there is a double full moon on your grandmothers birthday.  You get the idea. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Has any body tried making some kind of support under the ramp about half way up just shooting from the hip here maybe  aluminum I beam and some kind of jack stand and carpet to protect the finish .I bet there is some engineers out there that can design something to increase the loan capacity of the doors . What ya think can it be done?    

IMO These are solutions to a non existent problem.

While there may be some Toy Haulers out there that are questionable, the majority of the models sold on the West Coast are not having that many issues.  You may find posts on some forums about such a problem, but keep it in perspective that most people who have rv units, do not post on forums.

Anecdotely, as I posted earlier, we have put a Jeep Wrangler in our Weekend Warrier and not had any issues with either the door or in overloading the trailer.  We have several friends who routinely haul vehicles larger than motorcycles or atvs, with no problems at all.  When I say larger, I am referring to Smart Cars, 3,000 pound dual sport off road cars, POLARIS RZRs, Geo Trackers, Jeeps and even a Cooper Mini.

Someone above listed the more realistic issue of people thinking that if it physically fits, it can be hauled.  That is far more likely an issue, rather than bowing a door, unless you just blindly load something without knowing what it actually weighs.

Again, this is in my humble opinion....

John

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Archived