class of 2014..follow along!

We are also taking steps in getting ready for full-timing in 2014. We have started selling items that the kids don't want, some things will be harder to get rid of than others. I have bought several bags of clothes to goodwill and I am sure there will be more trips. Looks like it is going to rain tomorrow so maybe we can get down in the basement and make a start on clearing out the computer room. Looks like I will be retiring at the end of February and my DH will be retiring March 25th, then we will finish getting the house ready so that we can put it on the market. Once the house sells, we will be off on the next chapter of our lives. Is it 2014 yet?

Following Our Dream

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure whats happening, I've been replying but not seeing anything on the boards - oh well, will try again

Hey Smack, Congrats!!! We are on our way over to the storage bldg. to "downsize" some more and hopefully move into a 5' X 10' instead of a 10' X 10'. Closer to the dream!

We are officially homeless, I mean house less. What a day. Our house we were not even trying to sell closed escrow today. We are now living Fulltime in our RV.
And to top it off, someone cut the lock off our bikes and stole them last night. That just down right pissed me off. Oh well, life goes on.

Gregg & Debbie
2009 Jayco Legacy 36RLMS
2007 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Diesel Dually
Class of 2014

A whirlwind hit our house today. Our family came over and took a bunch of stuff. What a crazy day. I got most the painting done today. Wife emptied out and cleaned the kitchen. Either sister in law will take the rest of the stuff, or off to goodwill it goes. God willing, we will be house less in two weeks.

DH and I had a whirlwind yesterday too, went to our storage bldg. of stuff left from the house and went through it again - after 2 pickup truck beds full to Goodwill, we were tired. Were going back today but its raining, trying to get a 10 X 10 down to a 5 X 10. Good luck on the rest of your house less journey

Gregg & Debbie
2009 Jayco Legacy 36RLMS
Class of 2014

We are also taking steps in getting ready for full-timing in 2014. We have started selling items that the kids don't want, some things will be harder to get rid of than others. I have bought several bags of clothes to goodwill and I am sure there will be more trips. Looks like it is going to rain tomorrow so maybe we can get down in the basement and make a start on clearing out the computer room. Looks like I will be retiring at the end of February and my DH will be retiring March 25th, then we will finish getting the house ready so that we can put it on the market. Once the house sells, we will be off on the next chapter of our lives. Is it 2014 yet?

Good for you Caren, and good luck with all the purging. This weekend we are hoping to close our door on the 10X10 storage bldg. and continue purging in the 5X10 we are moving to. It has been difficult to get rid of some things, but now that its done and can only recall what a couple of them are. The RV is packed tighter than a tick and there is still stuff I want to bring along, what to do, what to do.. Hope to meet you on the road, although we won't be leaving until late in 2014

Gregg & Debbie
2009 Jayco Legacy 36RLMS
Class of 2014

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Class of 2014. I am posting for the first-time and I want to join this Class. After 7 summers of RVing all summer, we are going full-time June 2014. I will retire from academia in mid-May and get my first Social Security and retirement check in July 2014. Bill retired five years ago. We plan to sell both our brick and mortar house (or is it sticks and bricks house?), our 29' foot Isata (Dynamax) Motor Home and buy a 35-40' Newmar or Tiffin MH. We tow a Honda CRV. We also have a rental property here in New Orleans that we will probably sell and then reinvest in something near Austin, TX where our grandchild lives. Maybe this rental property will include some storage space for us and a driveway and a Port for the RV when we are visiting in Austin. We think we are going forward in a systematic manner to make all this happen. Fortunately the real estate market is very "hot" right now in our community. I do not want to put the house on the market too soon since I do not want to be asked to move out of our home before we our ready. We have lots of possession reduction ahead of us!
What are we forgetting?
We are enjoying our last year here in New Orleans and plan to return every year for the French Quarter and Jazz Fests in April and May.
Lynn & Bill plus Yoda (our six year old shepherd).

Jan.1,2014: Happy New Year. The rental property is sold and closed.

Welcome Lynn & Bill plus Yoda!! We moved out of our S&Bs in May and it has really been an adventure and we haven't even left town! ha ha. We also retire next year, me around July/August, hubby October/November so we have to stay put until then. However we are living in our 36' "Fiver". It really is different and I have enjoyed every minute. We did move one time here in the same park, when we first moved here we were on gravel and were put on a waiting list for pavement, never knew that was important, but BOY is it!! We had lots of rain this year so spent most of the summer in mud :wacko:. We are much happier on the pavement even though our "spot" is a little smaller. Anyway, didn't mean to go on and on but am very excited for you and us and welcome to the "Class of 2014"!!!

Gregg & Debbie
2009 Jayco Legacy 36RLMS
Class of 2014

Hello. We just dropped out of the "Class of 2013" as it is now very clear that we will not be able to get on the road until March 2014. We would like to officially become members of the "Class of 2014." Yay! 2013 has been very active for us. We purchased a 34' motor home and a CR-V. After a couple of test runs and a lot of work it looks like we are almost ready for the road. The sale of our house will be be completed in a month or 2 and a few personal and financial issues should be resolved shortly after the 1st of the year. My wife retired recently and I will retire in February, so there should be nothing holding us back. In fact, we have already identified March 17 as the best departure date. We look forward to meeting you.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

It has been a busy summer and fall as we prepare for launching our full time life in May of 2014. We sold our house, yea! We bought our new house on wheels. Both occurred much quicker than we expected. We are renting a condo and the coach is in storage for the long Vermont winter. So sad not being able to play with it. We found a 2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator.

Looking forward to meeting you on the road,

Stuart & Leslie

Stuart & Leslie

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator, Caspian IV, 45 ft, Cummins ISX 600

Greetings from New Orleans. So here is my second post.

We put our rental property on the Market on Monday and

accepted an offer on Wednesday for more than we asked!.

In the first post, I did say the real estate market was hot here!

So over Thanksgiving we will visit the grandchild in Austin and look

for a reinvestment rental property there. Maybe a four-plex

with a long driveway and storage space. So if the deal on the

property here in town goes through smoothly, this will be one big

check off on our list to go full-time June 1, 2014. I am so

conscious each time that I do certain lectures or other tasks at my

college teaching job that I have done many of these once-a-year

steps for the last time.

Lynn & Bill

Happy Thanksgiving, fellow 2014's!!! This is my first post on this forum but we have been silent lurkers in this class for several years now. We have been downsizing for the last year or so, put our house up for sale last June, and moved into the 5th at a local KOA to keep the house clean and staged for a sale. Our realtor told us to anticipate a sale in 3-12 months due to a somewhat depressed market in our area. Two weeks and 5 days later, it was sold. Panic set in and we had an estate/moving sale. We sold and Salvation Army'd the vast majority of our accumulated "stuff" in about 2 weeks. It went fast so there wasn't time for a lot of pain. Last weekend, the KOA closed for the winter and we moved into an apartment for the winter. Our actual launch will be June, 2014 after the Escapade in Goshen, IN and a "friend" reunion. Living in the KOA from June through November, we met many full-timers....some retired and some working their way around the country. Joan and I are both very excited about our countdown coming to a close. We are now only 30 weeks away from launch!!

I hope you all had a safe and blessed Thanksgiving.

Mike & Joan

Mike & Joan
2006 Volvo 780
2008 KZ Escalade Sportster 41CKS
2001 Honda XR650R
2018 Kymco Spade 150

We just signed the sales contract for our house. Of course, the contract is subject to several approvals. Closing is scheduled for February 19. We have sold off everything except for a few pieces of furniture. Anybody want to buy some antique oak furniture for their rigs? It looks good for a March 12 departure.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! We plan to be part of Class of 2014 with a little asterisk. The asterisk is that we're still working age. Selling the house and all our stuff, buying a 5er, and hitting the road to see the country while doing travel nursing (her) and technology work (me). Wish us luck!

2006 Volvo VNL630
5th Wheel TBD

We are throwing our name into the Class of 2014. We are closing on our farm to our neighbors on March 17th. So I guess our official start day will be the afternoon of March 17th, 2014. We can leave anything that we don't want to take with us so we are not under any pressure there. We have been planning this for over 5 years and now we are down to only 67 more days. Seems pretty incredible to be this close. We are from Kansas so the first thing we are going to do is to make a trip down to Livingston, Texas so we can become official Texans! My wife's favorite football team has always been the Cowboys so this just works out great! See you all down the road!

Clark & Sandra - Class of 2014

2012 Mountaineer 362RLQ

2004 GMC HD2500 Duramax Allison

http://notinkansasanymore2014.blogspot.com/

Well after 2011-12-13 we can actually say " We are the Class of 2014 " ! Having sold our House we have a Camp Host Position for this Summer and after that Who knows !! Maybe Winter in the South West or the Gulf States we don't care as long as it's warmer than Northern Wisconsin !! We hope to meet some of you somewhere on the Road !!!

Hey can we join Class of 2014? For over 30 years we've been part timers, you know that working thing we all did to get here? We started w/tent camping, then got a small TT, our first MH was a Flair', then 2 Winnabgo Adv MH and finally this past year got our new Berkshire DMH we call our 'RVDREEM'. Finally We're ready for adventure! My DW and I we'll be retiring this May, coincidentally on the first day of the Escapade. We'll be on the road 1/2 the year looking for fellow SKPs and at our lake home in Michigan the other 1/2 year. So I guess we'd be 'half timers'? So can we join Class of 2014? Please......please:-)!! Buzz & Laurie

The dominoes are falling! My last day at work is February 6. After 7 months on the market we now have a contract on the house with a closing later in February. Months of waiting and waiting has now turned into a 30 day race to have all the loose ends tied up by closing. Then its off to Texas for the month of March and the beginning of our full-time journey. Its happening!

I have been planning this my whole life and have finally set the date 27 June 2014 my last day at work. The house was listed last week and already seeing some activity. Some stuff has been sold and some claimed by the kids. If the house sells I will be full time...if it does not sell before July I may be part time for a while. Getting rid of stuff is not as hard as I thought it was going to be. But I still have a lot to move I believe I may go the easy route give to friends and family and donate the remain or to the dump with the leftover.

First stop Detroit to visit daughter and family then southwest before the snow falls.

Andy

Hello! We are new members. After months of planning, arranging, cleaning, and purging, we are finally hitting the road. We leave Sunday. Since the weather is so lousy here (DC) we are heading south for a while. We hope to eventually turn west and then north to Alaska. Best of luck to everyone and maybe we'll meet you on the road.

I plan to put the house on the market this spring and Bucky and I will hit the road whether it sells or not. :) I'm currently in the process of getting rid of stuff. Lots of stuff. :blink:

RVing since 1994
2000 Born Free 24RB Class C
6.8L Ford V-10 Engine, E450 Chassis

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I guess this is us! We are about 60 days from embarking on the greatest adventure ever for us. We are comfortable knowing we don't know everything. I guess that's the conscious incompetence I learned about in Psych class. So when you see people who don't look comfortable yet having issues over simple stuff, please be kind. Bring us a beer or a glass of wine and have a laugh with us. We are trying something new: Not taking ourselves so seriously. A tad about us: We are taking our home business mobile, I am leaving my job and the DH is somewhat retired but can't keep him still. We don't know how long we will be wandering as finding a new more temperate climate for DH will be our primary goal. Maybe we keep moving, we just don't know and we're OK with that. We believe God is guiding us on this journey and our knowing all the details is not required. We are so excited to find this community. When we bought the trailer we decided to take it to the town park and "camp" for a few days. The people we parked next to were SKP members and they were so kind to us, so helpful and then it turned out He had grown up in the very house we lived in. We knew this was the crowd for us then and there. So, here we come.

Just doing it. Thanks Nike!

Archived