Changing Sim Card From Old Jetpack to New

I have a 5501 Verizon jetpack with the old, true unlimited plan.  I want to keep the plan and to do that I can't make any changes, none, nada, zilch or I will lose it.  I want to upgrade my jetpack but if I buy a new one from Verizon that is a change and I lose my unlimited plan.  I've been told I can buy a jetpack from a 3rd party vendor, E-bay for instance, replace that device's sim card with my current sim card and keep my unlimited plan.  Has is anyone done this and is so, does it work?  I'm not real tech savvy so am hesitant to make the purchase. 

'12 Dodge Ram HD Crew Cab Long Bed

3500 Cummins Diesel

'07 HitchHiker II 29.5 LKTG

Not an expert, but I also have a Grandfathered Verisign plan with unlimited data. Never used a "Jetpack" but  just tethered my phone to the computer either with a cable, Bluetooth or WIFI which seems to be the best. 

I think it would be OK. I have bought many phones off of Ebay as I upgrade to the newer models. Tried T-Mobile and a new plan with Verizon with out releasing my old plan and both failed very quickly with the stuff I take for granted with the old plan. Will try AT&T this month to see if their salesperson  in Des Moines, IA was honest in his claim. Couldn't find the same info on line and a "Store" wasn't very close to my summer location. I'll be in the Norman/OKC area this winter. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

We did exactly what you're wanting to do. We have the grandfathered unlimited data plan on a prepaid Jetpack. We upgraded from the original Jetpack to the newer 8800L a few years ago. I don't remember if I called and had VZW make the change (while I switched the SIM) or if I did it online myself. Bottom line is that we still have the same plan. We've also changed/upgraded the phone on the same prepaid plan several times. Most recently, I had to have VZW make the switch because the new phones are 5G and required a new SIM. Still the same plan...

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Thanks to everyone for their encouraging replies!  I just have the unlimited plan on the jetpack, I have Consumer Cellular for our phone carrier...could get unlimited plan thru them but it's not truly unlimited data and can only have 1 device on it at a time but we have definitely more than 1 device in use at same time.  Gonna go ahead and get a new Jetpack and change the sim card and we'll see what happens.  As I have said many times (just before the s#$% hit the fan) what's the worst that could happen!!  Thanks again!

'12 Dodge Ram HD Crew Cab Long Bed

3500 Cummins Diesel

'07 HitchHiker II 29.5 LKTG

• 3 weeks later...

What ever you end up getting, for sure go to Verizon and get a new Sim Card.  Purchased a jet pack back 4+yrs ago.., took out the Sim Card and placed it in a router our son built.  He's working on a new router with the latest Qualcomm chip which just arrived and just went to Verizon to pick up another new Sim Card.  We placed it into the 1st router he built and will switch soon to the new one.  

Still kept the original grandfathered plan

2020 Dutch Star 4328, 2018 Grand Cherokee, Ready Brute Elite Towbar