Injector wiring harness oil leak

aknavy

2001 D12. My injector harness started to leak at the beginning of the year.  I just had it officially diagnosed, and the dealership can't get the part here before I'm scheduled to move.  I have not had any electrical issues as of yet.  For those of you that have dealt with it, is this something that can wait another 5k miles till we're settled down for a while and I can get it done?

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

My understanding is that it's a lit fuse, ticking time bomb, water drip in the middle of the night. Pick your analogy. The longer it's there, the more likely you'll suffer damage.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, Darryl&Rita said:

My understanding is that it's a lit fuse, ticking time bomb, water drip in the middle of the night. Pick your analogy. The longer it's there, the more likely you'll suffer damage.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.  I'm gonna put it off till we settle down for the winter and roll the dice.

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

On 10/4/2023 at 2:30 PM, aknavy said:

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.  I'm gonna put it off till we settle down for the winter and roll the dice.

The shop (or you) can sometimes silicone around the leak.  I have a 2006 D12 and that’s what had been done to mine.  It still leaked but the head mechanic at the Volvo dealership I use said he would continue to drive it until it started leaking more.  I replaced it at the next PM which was a year later.  It’s costly a couple of thousand I think. They do make a patch kit to help keep it from leaking into the ECM.  Early this year I had to replace my ECM and when they opened the back it had water and oil in it but also the sealant around the back plate of the ECM was deteriorated, crumbling and had gaps.  My thoughts are the original “leaking” harness was not the culprit just old sealant.  In summary, you pay your money and take your chances but in all likelihood will be fine until you can replace it.  What I would recommend is, if you are mechanically minded, remove your ECM and look at the sealant on the back and reseal if necessary.  OTR performance has a video on YouTube titled “Volvo Truck/Replacing ECM on D12”.  Doesn’t look like a hard job.  Might want to review this thread for the repair kit 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

18 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

The shop (or you) can sometimes silicone around the leak.  I have a 2006 D12 and that’s what had been done to mine.  It still leaked but the head mechanic at the Volvo dealership I use said he would continue to drive it until it started leaking more.  I replaced it at the next PM which was a year later.  It’s costly a couple of thousand I think. They do make a patch kit to help keep it from leaking into the ECM.  Early this year I had to replace my ECM and when they opened the back it had water and oil in it but also the sealant around the back plate of the ECM was deteriorated, crumbling and had gaps.  My thoughts are the original “leaking” harness was not the culprit just old sealant.  In summary, you pay your money and take your chances but in all likelihood will be fine until you can replace it.  What I would recommend is, if you are mechanically minded, remove your ECM and look at the sealant on the back and reseal if necessary.  OTR performance has a video on YouTube titled “Volvo Truck/Replacing ECM on D12”.  Doesn’t look like a hard job.  Might want to review this thread for the repair kit 

It's a full day for a trained and working professional mechanic with all of the proper tools. At least that's what I was told when my harness bit the dust and took out the ECM too. It's also a lot more than a "Couple Thousand", when it happens. It's really not an "IF" from my understanding. I was also told the repair did not "FIX" the leaking, but apparently they put a different location for the "Failure" to happen before it got to the ECM. 

That's my first hand experience so far. That trucks For Sale, btw. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.