https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-hospitalizations-spike-22-percent-cdc-predicts-increase-new-variants-2023/

Shoot!

I had two months out of a mask and now back to wearing a mask in public indoors only. <sigh> I waited to see if the boosters will work on the new omicron variant, and if it keeps growing. First from six days ago: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-hospitalizations-spike-22-percent-cdc-predicts-increase-new-variants-2023/

And from 7 hours ago: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/surge-booster-plan-to-tackle-most-concerning-covid-variant-since-omicron/ar-AA1g02Ti

Take what you can use and leave the rest.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I think I watched the same episode. The  one I saw said the spike in hospitalizations is mainly in older people. DW began carrying hand sanitizer in her purse again, and handed be a zip lock bag of masks to put in the truck glovebox again.

What a bummer.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

RV, we enjoyed a few months without the mask while shopping and any indoor venue.  It was nice, but with the uptick in COVID and now RSV, it is back to the mask.  We choose to stay healthy and alive.

We had been waiting to have Medicare cover the RSV vaccine, but over a week ago, we both came down with RSV.  Luckily, we both had mild cases, but it is stretched out over a week.  From the symptoms, we are pretty sure it was RSV as it matched the symptoms.  We are both doing better and will get the RSV vaccine in a week or so when we are over this.

The first of October we plan to get our COVID booster and flu shots.

We know several that subscribe to the COVID anti-vac theories, and they have had COVID more than once.

Just stay healthy and enjoy life.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Ken,

I got the RSV vaccine and my flu shot yesterday. Of course my reaction may not be the same as yours or anyone else.

I have the same mild soreness today from the flu shot, only hurts when I hold it up over my head but barely noticeable.

I have no soreness in my arm with the RSV vaccine. That was my concern as I have never had it before.

The roll-out for the new COVID vaccine is mid September so in the next two weeks or three I should have my COVID shot too.

Excerpt:

"What to Know About the New COVID-19 Booster Shots Planned for Next Month

Rollout of the updated shots is expected in mid-September.

Coronavirus is on the rise in the U.S., prompting questions about when Americans can roll up their sleeves for the next COVID-19 vaccine.

COVID-19 hospitalizations have been increasing for six straight weeks. While levels remain far below previous coronavirus waves in the U.S., it’s still the first increase since winter, and it has even prompted the return of mask mandates for a handful of businesses and schools.

The Biden administration estimates that 97% of Americans ages 16 and over have some level of COVID-19 immunity through vaccination, previous infection or both. The number may sound promising – so why do people need another round of shots? Because that protection can fade in a matter of months, leaving individuals vulnerable to COVID-19 once again.

“Immunity is stronger today than at any other point in the outbreak,” Mandy Cohen, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said in a recent video statement. “That means we're moving towards COVID-19 being a more manageable illness with less severe illness. Having antibodies is like a shield, but we still need to be cautious because that protection does decrease over time.”

When Will the Shots Be Available?

Rollout of the shots is expected in mid-September, according to officials with the CDC and the Food and Drug Administration.

The shots from Moderna, Pfizer and Novavax first need authorization from the FDA. After that, the CDC’s committee of outside vaccine experts will gather to recommend who should be eligible for the shots. That meeting is scheduled for Sept. 12. Then, the CDC director must sign off on the recommendations before shots can be administered.

Related: Mask Mandates Trickle in as COVID-19 Hospitalizations Rise

For undervaccinated or unvaccinated Americans – especially those who are at high risk for severe disease – Cohen says it might be best for them to roll up their sleeves now for the shots that are currently available.

“Those who have never been vaccinated and then some people who are older and at higher risk for a COVID infection might be best to get the existing COVID shot now and not wait,” Cohen said, noting that individuals should talk to their doctor first.

But Cohen added that “if you do get the current COVID-19 vaccine now or in early September, it could delay your ability to get this updated vaccine that's coming out in the middle of September.”

Will the Updated Boosters Work on New Coronavirus Variants?

The updated shots target XBB.1.5, which was responsible for less than 5% of new coronavirus infections in recent weeks.

The variant scene has changed significantly since the Biden administration advised vaccine makers to target the XBB strain in June. Now, EG.5, or “eris,” is the dominant strain circulating, causing over 20% of new cases.

But all the strains circulating are still descendants of omicron, so experts believe the shots will still protect against severe COVID-19 from the variants.

A Biden administration official told reporters last week, “FDA expects that once available, the updated vaccines will similarly provide protection against the most serious outcomes of the disease that may result from currently circulating variants.”

Additionally, experts are keeping a close eye on how BA.2.86, a new strain that is highly mutated, could affect the shots.

“The CDC is closely tracking a new variant which does have a number of changes or mutations that do make it distinct and different from the older versions of the virus,” Cohen said. “So we're working as fast as we can to understand this new variant and what impact it might have on how severe the COVID disease will get or how well our vaccines work against it.”

Source:

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2023-08-30/explainer-what-to-know-about-the-new-covid-19-booster-shots-planned-for-fall

So despite knowing it does not target the latest variant I will bee taking it anyway and any boosters targeting the new strains. As they said it will help with keeping any infection mild.

So for us we are back in masks in public indoors. All eating out is take out.

Take what you can use and leave the rest.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire