Coolant Brand ?

Frogman

Hello Folks,

I have a 2016 Volvo with a D13 engine. My coolant level is low and I need to top of the level to the proper line on the coolant tank. The engine has the red colored coolant. I did some reading in the resource guide and did not find the answer I was looking for. Is Fleet Guard a good brand to use ? What brand have you used in your truck ?

Thank you for any help,

Most of the bright red coolant for heavy duty diesel engines is formulated to meet the Cat spec for extended life coolant (Caterpillar EC-1, IIRC).  If you can verify that your truck contains an EC-1-compatible coolant, then the brand is unimportant --any coolant that states that it meets the EC-1 specification will work.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

13 minutes ago, Phil D said:

Most of the bright red coolant for heavy duty diesel engines is formulated to meet the Cat spec for extended life coolant (Caterpillar EC-1, IIRC).  If you can verify that your truck contains an EC-1-compatible coolant, then the brand is unimportant --any coolant that states that it meets the EC-1 specification will work.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your help. The sad thing is that I can not verify that the truck contains an EC-1 coolant. How can someone verify that they have an EC-1 compatible coolant ?  Still learning. Thank you for the replies. 

If you don't know what's in the coolant system, your best bet is to drain and fill with new coolant.  However, if it's red it's a darn good bet that it's extended life and compliant.  Regardless, this is what you want...

Fleetguard@ CC36077 ES

Extended Life

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.