Dometic Fridge RM2555 no power

h4lazyj

Hi, my fridge Dometic model RM2555 has no power. Won't light up on 240v or gas or 12v. Anyone had the same issue and a resolution? Was working fine last week. But stopped sometime on the last trip. I've found a loose blue wire but other forums and diagrams suggest it's just a test point and doesn't need to be hooked to anything. Your help would be appreciated. 

20230819_165321.jpg

20230819_165341.jpg

The RM2555 is a 3 way refrigerator that was never sold in the USA and it has been discontinued so there isn't much service information available here. You really haven't given us much to go on but if there is no 12V power to the unit it will not work in any mode as the controls all operate from 12V-direct current, from your battery or vehicle electrical system. There are probably fuses on the circuit board for both 12V and 240V and it the one for 12V is open that would give you the symptom you list. That is also true if there is no 12V to the refrigerator. You need to get out your volt/ohm meter and check for available power. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Howdy h4, Its hard to say not being there, but I tend to agree with Kirk if NOTHING works on ANY of the 3 way sources 120 Volts, LP Gas, 12 Volts (assuming all switches on fridge or its eyebrow panel are okay and on ??) my first suspect is NO 12 VOLTS is available. Start by checking the (typical) blade type fuses in your 12 VDC distribution panel then use a simple 12 Volt test light or a DC voltmeter to look for 12 volts in the bottom rear compartment where you took that picture. On some there's two wires into a plastic terminal block where the 12 VDC starts (from DC fuse panel) then wires to the control board. 

Do you have good 12 VDC in other parts of the RV ?? Is the fridge the ONLY 12 Volt appliance that's not working?? Im wondering about your house batteries

All I have to offer for now based on limited information..

John T

Thank you. I'll pass this info onto someone I can find who knows how to drive a volt meter. I got a little 12v test light yesterday but couldn't get anything to light up in the fridge compartment, but I'm not certain where ground would be. Even though the clip was on the ground wire.  Blades in the fuse board all seem fine when I pulled them out.

Sunny day and both solar and 240v charging up house batteries I think.

Everything else 12v in the back is working fine. House batteries are new. Hopefully it's a simple fix, not a new panel.

9 hours ago, h4lazyj said:

I got a little 12v test light yesterday but couldn't get anything to light up in the fridge compartment, but I'm not certain where ground would be.

The ground supply wire could be one of the two wires I spoke of above, a plastic two conductor terminal wiring block near the bottom of the fridge compartment and/or look for a place where a few wires attach to a portion of sheet metal (may be ground). A simple 12 Volt test lamp will suffice but if those two feed wires arent in place or a DC fuse is blown     NO 12 VOLTS NO TEST LIGHT GLOW 

John T

So for those following along,  found something interesting today. Took to a mates shop and we discovered the fridge has 6v supply only.  At the house fuse box, the top rail of the fuses has 13v and the bottom 6v. IE, top of the fuse blade 13v, bottom of the blade 6. There is a 3v fuse blade with a symbol above it like a flame picture,  that blade has the red indicator lamp lit, as if it's blown. But it's not blown. So the fellow suggested there's a problem in the house fuse panel itself or a damaged wire on the house batteries side of the supply or something damaged and a 6v back flow from a capacitor or something. House batteries are both fine and registered 13v. It's just weird that the fridge is only getting 6v. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you. Heidi. 

46 minutes ago, h4lazyj said:

There is a 3v fuse blade with a symbol above it like a flame picture,  that blade has the red indicator lamp lit, as if it's blown. But it's not blown.

A 3V fuse blade?  And only 1 fuse has the open indicator lit?  Did you remove the fuse and then check it with an ohm meter? A fuse that is good will measure 0 ohms of resistance and it will be electrically the same on both ends. If your helper understands basic electricity, then you must be describing what he told incorrectly. Perhaps some pictures of what you have might help.

Edited by Kirk W

h4, what you are saying DOES NOT REGISTER ........For sure 6 Volts at the source isnt gonna run a 12 volt powered fridge, but you already know that............Fuses are rated in current not so much a voltage device OTHER THAN the max withstand voltage.......

I agree there's a bad/loose/resistive/voltage dropping wire or connection or terminal block or even a fuse or the fuses connection somewhere ?? in the panel or from it to the fridge BUT CANT TELL FROM HERE. A good fuse would show near zero ohms across it while a faulty or partly burned element might have some resistance....... Try a new fuse......... 

John T

Well. Don't I feel like a dummy. Last night, swapped out the fuse that was lit, and wah lah. Fridge is working on all 3 sources. 

Safe to say I won't be using the auto sparky that I had take a look at it, again! 

Pleased it was an easy fix, and I thank you all very much for your time and effort in helping me troubleshoot. 

I've learnt a lot about voltage and wiring this week. Thank you all. 😊 

1 hour ago, h4lazyj said:

I've learnt a lot about voltage and wiring this week.

If you want to get a good grasp of the basics of the RV 12V systems, I suggest that you take the time to read The 12V Side of Life, by Mark Nemeth. There are 2 parts and you would be wise to read them both. I would also suggest that you get yourself an inexpensive volt/ohm meter and use the instructions that come with it and videos from Youtube to learn the basics of its use.