Anyone able to 'Lock in' a failed D13 Fan clutch.

craigjanelle

Years ago on the Detroit Ser. 60 we were able to bolt the failed fan clutch to work full time until we could get into the shop.

We're stuck up in the mountains of Montana until I can either get one delivered or someway lock it on permanently until fixed. Would be nice to make the last 100 miles home to replace it. 2012 Volvo 670 D13. Thanks to all who has an extra 2 cents.

You did not say what you did to diagnose the problem as specifically, the fan. The latest schematic I have is for a 2007 so I can't give you fuse and relay numbers.

I believe you need to look at a couple of things.  First, I think you need to look at  electrical supply.  It would be best to pull off the connector near the air/electric solenoid and check for resistance on the solenoid.  My guess would be something like 10-20 ohms. If it seems good, find a couple of jumper wires jump one side to ground and the other with a 12 volt source (use the DC wire at the alternator.  Start the truck.  It should not matter which pin you use for ground as it is just a solenoid.  However, if one of the wires is white, hook the ground wire to it.  If the fan kicks in then it is an electrical issue.  Start looking for a blown fuse or a bad relay.  

Second you want to look at air supply.  You might be able to bypass the solenoid and feed air directly to the fan.

Good luck,  Chet

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

On 8/14/2023 at 10:47 PM, NeverEasy said:

You did not say what you did to diagnose the problem as specifically, the fan. The latest schematic I have is for a 2007 so I can't give you fuse and relay numbers.

I believe you need to look at a couple of things.  First, I think you need to look at  electrical supply.  It would be best to pull off the connector near the air/electric solenoid and check for resistance on the solenoid.  My guess would be something like 10-20 ohms. If it seems good, find a couple of jumper wires jump one side to ground and the other with a 12 volt source (use the DC wire at the alternator.  Start the truck.  It should not matter which pin you use for ground as it is just a solenoid.  However, if one of the wires is white, hook the ground wire to it.  If the fan kicks in then it is an electrical issue.  Start looking for a blown fuse or a bad relay.  

Second you want to look at air supply.  You might be able to bypass the solenoid and feed air directly to the fan.

Good luck,  Chet

Craigjanelle,

Listen to this man.  If it’s electrical he can help you fix it or modify it.  😊

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Thank you all for your valuable responses. I was able to diagnose the faulty fan clutch with key on(not running) & solenoid to clutch disconnected. The fan was still able to free spin by me. I let the truck cool off for an hour or so & checked what kind of grades I had in front of me, that would overheat & shut us down. Figured I had a good 10 miles to find a boondocking area for the night. When I saw the 'Rodeo Grounds-Next Right' sign in Polson, Mt. we had it made for the night. Next morning tried our so called road service & was told the soonest would be the next evening by 6pm-Not Good. Woke up feeling McGuyver-ish (add it to your dictionary). Broke out the drill with a sharp bit & drilled two holes completely through the outer ring of the fan clutch, partially drilling into the failed clutch. Had some self tapping machine screws(use these a lot to mount tie-downs on to bed) Put a drop of oil on them & they went in perfect. We're at our new property in Montana(100 mile trip), waiting on new parts, but until then the permanent fan is just loving making a dust storm on all the dirt roads. I've had to do a few alternate methods over my many years of trucking, this ones right up there with my favorites. Thanks Again, Safe Travels-Stay Safe. 

Craig & Janelle Reuter

I have been out of working on heavy truck for about 3.5 years but If memory serves me right, the fan uses air to release the fan.  If you disconnect the fan solenoid, it should run constantly.  Also there usually are threaded holes in the fan clutch already for bolts to be used to cage the clutch.