For those with an LG MiniSplit

I finally turned on the A/C today. I've had my Mini Split set on "Dehumidification" for a while now and it's kept the temperature at a comfortable level except for a few of the cooler days when I should have just turned it off at night. 

The Fan keeps running, same as with the A/C. Wish there was a setting to cool that had interminetant fan use as it does when in heat mode. 

I swear when I first started using it and tried the AI setting it would heat or cool, but now it only seems to want to cool. Ok if it's hot and only slightly cool, but when it gets to 30 outside and it's still blowing cold air it's not so good. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Rod,

I think you're in Canada. Are you full-time living in your RV? Or are you talking about a stix n brix unit. I would think the RV units may be similar. I would contact LG by phone because either something's wrong or perhaps one component can be upgraded without replacing the whole system. I was surprised that some are rated to -15 F!

I was about to research them more as we will need a new A/C heating system in the next year or so. I like the idea of Mini Split heat pumps. We rarely get below zero her but do. Since Mini Splits replace both Furnace and A/C  we have a backup vented/sealed from the inside gas fireplace and can heat with it if a mini froze on us.

Here was my first stop:

Excerpt:

"jG2gpHql.jpg

Source: https://aircondlounge.com/do-mini-splits-work-in-cold-weather-climate-effectively/

I would check to see if LG or any RV systems can e upgraded for below 0°F weather.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

30 minutes ago, RV_ said:

Rod,

I think you're in Canada. Are you full-time living in your RV? Or are you talking about a stix n brix unit. I would think the RV units may be similar. I would contact LG by phone because either something's wrong or perhaps one component can be upgraded without replacing the whole system. I was surprised that some are rated to -15 F!

I was about to research them more as we will need a new A/C heating system in the next year or so. I like the idea of Mini Split heat pumps. We rarely get below zero her but do. Since Mini Splits replace both Furnace and A/C  we have a backup vented/sealed from the inside gas fireplace and can heat with it if a mini froze on us.

Here was my first stop:

Excerpt:

"jG2gpHql.jpg

Source: https://aircondlounge.com/do-mini-splits-work-in-cold-weather-climate-effectively/

I would check to see if LG or any RV systems can e upgraded for below 0°F weather.

Rob is likely asking about the one in his Spacecraft unit. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

9 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Rob is likely asking about the one in his Spacecraft unit. 

Glenn I said that. And I believe his name is Rod. If he indeed lives in Canada he may have similar temps to here, and I posted the article about all Splits and suggested he check with LG and see if they have an extreme cold unit or if his is how to fix it and if not can it be upgraded.

I posted: " Are you full-time living in your RV? Or are you talking about a stix n brix unit. I would think the RV units may be similar. I would contact LG by phone because either something's wrong or perhaps one component can be upgraded without replacing the whole system. I was surprised that some are rated to -15 F! "

The takeaway is today Heat exchangers are made for 15 below zero F.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

The mini splits most of us use are residential units.  I am not familiar with any made for RV's.  We have a different brand mini split but the automatic change from heat to cool left us with cold or hot periods and never seemed to work correctly.   When it is set to just heat or cool the fans varied as needed and would shut off if it wasn't needed at all

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I am Rod, but spell check sometimes changes it to Rob. 

Mine is a Residential style Mini Split retrofit installed in my 2013 Spacecraft. The RV Coleman Mach didn't last very long. It was a "Basement" model and was a bit more quiet than the roof top, but not near as quiet at the Mini Split is now (most of the time.)

I've sort of inquired about the issue, but some have recommended having the person who charged it after install be the one to evaluate it. I never seemed to have enough time or lead time to spend the time in Concordia at Space Craft. Maybe this fall or next spring. 

I was happy with the performance during the dehumidifying cycles. 

And NO I'm not Canadian. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Rod, I have a Pioneer unit. I have a dehumidifier setting but never used it or needed to. I hear several speak about high humidity with LG units. We don't have that problem. When temps get cool we just change to heat. Hear in Texas not unusual to use both same day. Fan runs all the time ours in use.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

On 5/30/2023 at 5:28 PM, lappir said:

I am Rod, but spell check sometimes changes it to Rob. 

Mine is a Residential style Mini Split retrofit installed in my 2013 Spacecraft. The RV Coleman Mach didn't last very long. It was a "Basement" model and was a bit more quiet than the roof top, but not near as quiet at the Mini Split is now (most of the time.)

I've sort of inquired about the issue, but some have recommended having the person who charged it after install be the one to evaluate it. I never seemed to have enough time or lead time to spend the time in Concordia at Space Craft. Maybe this fall or next spring. 

I was happy with the performance during the dehumidifying cycles. 

And NO I'm not Canadian. 

Rod

Well Rod I had the name right. 😉

Keep us posted as I am looking at a home mini spit unit too. Nice rig Space Craft.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Thank you and yes you did. 

I really like the LG and so far it has worked very well in both cooling and heating my entire rig. I do add some electric heat near the water pump and tank and of course if I want to have unlimited water I have to heat the hose and hydrant. But for personal comfort I don't have an issue ever. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

On 6/2/2023 at 8:33 AM, GlennWest said:

What really sweet about our mini splits we can run them on solar.

It seems to be more popular with the HDT crowd than the other RVs/TVs. 

Thanks for the info. We are offered substantial incentives to upgrade in residences too.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998