Class A Gasser

wtmtnhiker

Hi all,
   I'm trying to decide between 2 motorhomes. One is a 2005 with a GM drivetrain 8.1 engine and Allison transmission with 11,430
 miles.  The other is a 2006 with the Ford V-10 drive train and 34,000 miles. I remember reading that the Fords had trans issues on some earlier years but were improved upon later. To those of you who know what year did they make that upgrade to the Ford tranny? Also should I be worried about the very low mileage on the 2005?  Both of these coaches meet my price point and look to be in very nice condition with floor plans that I like.  Thanks for reading , any thoughts and input are appreciated.

Garry
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500

We owned a class A on the first generation V-10(1999 F53) chassis that we bought new and kept for 14 years, 12 of them fulltime. I sold it with 81,000 miles and last heard from the buyer he was about to trade it on a newer rig after owning it for an additional 6 years and it was at 128,000 miles and doing fine. The only major repair was a pinion seal replaced at 3 years and the second owner had the plugs changed at 102k. He indicated that it had been a great experience. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The Ford transmission issue is largely overblown in my opinion for that era.  The big thing is regular maintenance of fluid and filter changing.  It is much cheaper to service a transmission than replace or repair one.  On my previous Ford trucks and motorhomes, I changed the fluid at 30000 to 35000 miles.  Heat kills these transmissions and fluid.  A motorhome is in the severe service area as far as I am concerned.

If you go with the Ford, have a transmission service included.  Drop the pan, change the filter and replace the fluid.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot