Would like feedback from Canadians who RV full-time in Canada & US

Hi there,

My wife and I are planning to buy an RV and explore Canada and the USA when I retire early next year. I have done lots of research but can't find answers to specific questions so I would love feedback and advice from Canadians who RV full-time in Canada and the US.

What do you do for...?
- Medical coverage
- Domicile address
- Phone, TV, Internet 
- Prescriptions

Other questions;
- Do you have a US bank account or credit card?
- Are there specific challenges entering the US or returning to Canada in an RV?
- Who do you use for roadside assistance?

Thanks in advance for your insight, feedback, and advice.

Kelley

Mr. Kelley

Planning to retire in early 2024 and tour North America fulltime with my wife
Considering a fifth wheel (33-37 feet) 
Tow vehicle will be purchased when a final decision on the RV is made.

29 minutes ago, Mr. Kelley said:

Hi there,

My wife and I are planning to buy an RV and explore Canada and the USA when I retire early next year. I have done lots of research but can't find answers to specific questions so I would love feedback and advice from Canadians who RV full-time in Canada and the US.

What do you do for...?
- Medical coverage

We use travel insurance, purchased from one of several companies. We price-shop every summer, for the upcoming season
- Domicile address
UPS Store mailbox. When the box gets full, they call for a forwarding address
- Phone, TV, Internet 
Telus phone plan, TV used to be Starchoice/Shaw, but they've gone to birds unavailable from the US, so streaming OTA has replaced. Several companies offer hotspot plans for quite reasonable costs.
- Prescriptions
Pack enough for the time stateside

Other questions;
We have an account, through ATB, with a US dollar Master Card. Transfer funds when the exchange isn't as painful
- Are there specific challenges entering the US or returning to Canada in an RV?

Nothing yet
- Who do you use for roadside assistance?

Right hand, and Master Card

Thanks in advance for your insight, feedback, and advice.

Kelley

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

What do you do for...?
- Medical coverage

Two part answer – first check your credit card for 31 day out of province medical coverage. Then buy ‘top up’ coverage for the balance of the trip. Shop around- I use Sanderson Ince Broker – they find the best plan from several companies to match pre-existing conditions. https://sandersontravelinsurance.com/site/

- Domicile address

Use a family member or friend if possible – we used a Mail box but it had issues for use on drivers licence.

- Phone, TV, Internet 

Phone depends on usage – roaming out of country is expensive – we make few calls, so we had a pay by the minute plan (35 cents per minute) and put a $100 on the phone which is good for a year, and the balance rolls over- and we bought a plan in Canada (petrocan mobile) and a separate plan (ATT) for the USA – so total cost was $200 per year. Just swap the sim cards on the phone. - need an unlocked phone.

TV – we used Shaw Direct but that will die out over the next two years due to satellite changes and no signal to be available south of the border.

Internet  - we had a site in a SKP co-op park and had a land line – put it in vacation mode while back in Canada

- Prescriptions

Took enough to cover the trip – if over 90 days, my plan would not pay directly, so I paid the cost, and submitted a manual claim to my insurer

Other questions;

I opened a US$ account at my Canadian bank, and would transfer funds when the rate was good. Then I got a US$ credit card from the same bank.- Now it is easy online to see the accounts and transfer monies and pay the credit card each month,

Never had a problem – going south they may ask about food stuff, fruit, meat. Dog needs certificates. Also use medical insurance doc as proof of duration. Coming north, booze, cigarettes, weapons.

Main things to note – max is 6 months. But also be aware of US IRS. Read up on Closer Ties. IRA uses a formulae to calculate income tax exposure using last three years.

- Who do you use for roadside assistance? Shop around and read the small print – limited or max recovery distance and watch out for ‘any’ or ‘qualified’ repair facility.

John

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel

John (Hiljoball) Wow! Very through - good answer!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire