5000 watt Onan emerald Plus rv generator

I'm looking for a rebuilt or to even rebuild the one I have! Any suggestions or links would be appreciated.

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

Are you looking to replace the generator or rebuild it because or the No Generator Power thread you have on the Technical forum? What have you found that makes you want to replace it? If the ATS is the problem replacing the generator won't help.  

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have not yet set to work learning how to read the test meter, so I am still doing the armchair guessing. I have a 22-year-old generator that I have been told the rear bearing is chirping and also been told that its quite expansive and might be impossible to change this bearing. So run it till it stops has been my advice! With that in mind I now have the possibility that if it is the generator then will I buy new boards and other electrical parts for a failing generator? Then with that bit of history in this project I replaced the ATS six years ago. So where would you put your money on what is most likely the Culpert? 

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

The bearing sound does throw a factor into things I was not aware of. Do you know how many hours of runtime the generator has? Runtime is a much bigger factor that years of age in most cases. Onan generators will not continue to run when you release the start switch unless the generator is making 120V or reasonably close to that. For that reason, if making a guess with no electrical checks to base it on I would still consider the ATS or connections to it to be the source of your problems. Is there any chance that you are where you could get some assistance from another RV'er who has a meter and understands it's use? It would not take a great deal of time and effort to know if the generator is the problem.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

11 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

The bearing sound does throw a factor into things I was not aware of. Do you know how many hours of runtime the generator has? Runtime is a much bigger factor that years of age in most cases. Onan generators will not continue to run when you release the start switch unless the generator is making 120V or reasonably close to that. For that reason, if making a guess with no electrical checks to base it on I would still consider the ATS or connections to it to be the source of your problems. Is there any chance that you are where you could get some assistance from another RV'er who has a meter and understands it's use? It would not take a great deal of time and effort to know if the generator is the problem.

I have a meter and plan to get to work on this project as soon as I get figure out how to replace my check valve on the city water. It's not easy being me. 

I had to get that bearing replaced by a Cummins/Onan shop. Since my generator has to be removed through the front grille/cap, not a slideout or side door, it's a project that cost about $2,000 just for that. They did get the bearing replaced; at the time it was one of only two of those bearings in North America. That alternative was no generator, and it was July and we were traveling. My generator is a 29-year-old Onan Marquis and it'll happily run and run and run while producing no voltage; old Onans work that way. The fix when it produced no power turned out to be cleaning the slip rings and brushes. I have one of those cheap no-contact circuit testers; I got no current sound at the junction box above the generator or the cable leading to it.

As part of the deliberations about the generator I ran across a fairly new producer of installed generators. Although it turned out that I didn't have to replace the generator, a company contact made it clear that they could supply and install a new generator in a couple of days. At that time the Onan that would fit in the available space was not expected to be available for a full year. The are gas/lp only.

https://rvmp.co/collections/rv-generators

Edited by jbh

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com