Can you solve this problem

Wrknrvr

Yesterday I went to repair the radiator neck on the Aquahot.

With cleaning, sanding, inspection of said problem and getting tools out I proceeded to work the crack. The customer helped also as he was in several mechanical and construction jobs in his life.

I was using a 2000 watt soldering gun. Trigger operated, hand held. About as big physically as could be used in the space. So with the iron cleaned, fluxed and some silver solder on the tip, And flux on the shiny brass crack area,  proceeded to tin said subject. Well apparently with the neck being as short as it was, and with the top lip containing more mass than I thought. The silver solder was just not flowing, as I thought it would. Now what.

Silver solder Melts in the 700 degree range I think. 

Discuss this with customer. He is helping and is seeing what is happening.

Decided to use regular solder instead of silver solder. Now there is some silver solder already on the center of the crack. But regular old fashioned solder melts in the 400 +- degrees range.

So with silver solder cleaned off the soldering iron and regular solder on said subject, I started to try soldering. Well that works better. So first of all is to tin as much as possible to see it it will work. Things went good on side. Then we discussed the top flat area where the cap seals. After tinning the top, I soldered the side. It went good, under the conditions for working.

But getting under the lip did not work.

So we decided to solder the top and drag some down the inside of the spout. After checking the interior solder joint with feel and remote camera, we stopped on the top of the rim.

But I said the outer lip needed solder. Just touched some solder on the outside, pulled away to look and said, good enough.Then the top was sanded down flat, so the gasket would seal.

This is not a pressurized crack repair. It is just for the overflow tank.

Put a cap on the unit. Turned it on. And the repair works.

But it did take about 2 1/2 hours with to complete the job. Sure beat removal of the unit to replace the filler neck.

Edited by Wrknrvr