RVing with Kidney PD

laketahoeram

Hello, we are experienced travel trailer 'Dry Campers' and I have recently started Kidney PD treatment.  I would welcome your advice re pre-heating the BAXTER PD Solution Bags.

Dry Camping means we have NO utilities to plug into.  We do have a HONDA 2000 generator for occasional use.  Would the new solar battery devices power a heating pad (used to heat the solution Bags) work for 5 days or so?

Thanks /s/ Bob McD

12 minutes ago, laketahoeram said:

Hello, we are experienced travel trailer 'Dry Campers' and I have recently started Kidney PD treatment.  I would welcome your advice re pre-heating the BAXTER PD Solution Bags.

Dry Camping means we have NO utilities to plug into.  We do have a HONDA 2000 generator for occasional use.  Would the new solar battery devices power a heating pad (used to heat the solution Bags) work for 5 days or so?

Thanks /s/ Bob McD

To start, you need to determine the maximum current draw of the heater to calculate how much solar or alternative power you'll need. Once you know that, you can begin your search for a solution. Jay

I am somewhat familiar with the PD process as an aunt of mine used it for quite a long time. The key to your answer comes from the power required by the heating pad, as Jaydrvr has already said. If you look closely at the heating pad it should have a tag that lists all of the power requirements. The only heaters that I could find in a quick search are from Stickman Industries and seem to require 20W of power, or less than 2A at 12V. That should be easily doable with solar.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I imagine you already know you can't just run your device(s) off a solar panel, since the sun and shade are finicky suppliers. You'll need a decent deep cycle battery to actually run your devices, with solar panel(s) to charge them. Something like a Bluetti device would work, for example, although there are much cheaper ways to accomplish your goal. Jay 

• 2 weeks later...