Uber oddities

hemsteadc

I rarely use Uber, but, I'm in the Las Vegas area and do need it.  I'm experiencing some very strange things from them.  

I tried to book a trip a couple days in advance using their app.  A driver texted me immediately and said he was 'on his way.'  NO NO.. I replied ... in 2 days!!  He replied "ok", and I thought that was the end of it.  An hour later I get a bill through paypal for $12 for a cancellation. 

Today I see a bill for $49.99 on my Paypal account for signing up for a "billing agreement", which I did NOT knowingly do.  Either I'm getting senile or somebody's hiding these "you agree to..."  things in the fine print.   

Anyone else have these kinds of issues?

We use Uber occasionally but haven't run into the issues that you describe. 

I have been getting e-mails about a new "Uber-One" service, offering a year for $49.99 (half price).  It sounds like you got signed up for this.  Is it possible you clicked on something in the app accidentally?

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

17 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

I have been getting e-mails about a new "Uber-One" service, offering a year for $49.99 (half price).  It sounds like you got signed up for this.  Is it possible you clicked on something in the app accidentally?

That must be it.. thanks.  I've been getting offers on my phone for meals.. etc.  I have no idea how I did that.   All it said in any of the Paypal notices was "billing agreement".. nothing about Uber One.

Anyway, the cab ride from Henderson to Lake Mead was pretty cheap, and on time and in a clean car. 

Edited by hemsteadc

On 11/20/2021 at 3:00 PM, mptjelgin said:

We use Uber occasionally but haven't run into the issues that you describe. 

There's more.

Today I tried booking 2 hours in advance.  No matter what payment method I used, it rejected all of them.  That was an hour's worth of fun, trying to get that to work.

When I got to town at the rental car return, I booked a ride immediately, no problem.  The driver's English was so bad I couldn't understand a word he said.

Good luck trying to contact anyone at Uber.

Edited by hemsteadc

I have found that depending on the location and especially the time, things can get interesting. We had a very early morning flight from the San Antonio airport and needed an Uber at 4:00 a.m.  I booked the night before because I wasn't sure how available Uber would be at that time and didn't want to risk not getting a ride. I was able to book it, but the cost was about 4x the "usual" price. I asked the driver about the cost the next morning, and he said that most drivers knocked off after the bars closed (2:00 a.m.) so reserving a driver at a time where there were few available resulted in some pretty aggressive "peak pricing". 

On the other hand, we flew back into San Antonio two weeks later at 6:00 p.m.  I got an Uber within 2 minutes and the price was back to normal. 

Were you trying to book a very early or very late ride?

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

42 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

Were you trying to book a very early or very late ride?

No.  11 am... a time Uber chose for me. I Force stopped the app, I even reinstalled it.  Same results. 

I even had enough Uber cash to pay for it. The moment I deposited to Uber cash my Amex card notified me of possible fraud, immediately.

Edited by hemsteadc