thermostat location GC6AA-10E

rinkeswa

I just inherited a Jayco 2004 Talon zx, very excited to join the lifestyle.  I have familiarized myself with the instruction manuals and wiring and plumbing - the good news is everything appears to be working per the manuals.   The water heater appears to be working a little too well as there is distinct steam rising from all hot water and I worry about scalding myself in the shower.  The manual has drawings of two different thermostat manufacturers for this model heater but I can not find either thermostat anywhere on the heater.  Can anybody tell me where the thermostat is located?  Thanks in advance, sorry for the dumb question.

Water heaters are small. 8-16 gallon depending on model. Has to be hot to supply enough. There are 2 thermostats In it. One for 120 v service and one for gas service. No adjustment. Just use little hot and more cold. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

The most common water heater size is only 6 gallons with a few at 8 gallons so Glen is correct. If you open the outside access and look for this black foam cover, the thermostat is to the right and the left is the over temperature limiter. Note the label E.C.O. and just to the right T'STAT.  

atwood-hotwater-heater.jpg

There are adjustable thermostats for an Atwood water heaters but I have never used one. 

Edited by Kirk W
insert better picture

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The OP has a Dometic/Atwood GC6AA-10E 6-gallon gas/electric water heater as listed in the subject.

Does the overheat occur on both gas and electric, or just one source. Both gas and electric thermostats are nominally set for 140 degrees F. If the thermostat fails closed though, the temp can go up to 150+ until the ECO, the over temp sensor, shuts off the gas or electric. Gas/electric Atwood water heaters made since 2003 use the same fixed thermostat and ECO set located on the front of the tank to control both heat sources.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system