Blue Ox Hitch question

oldjohnt

So, I have a Blue Ox Tow Hitch (bought used no manual) and have seen, done, and read about two different final connection methods, all of which "work"

1) After all is connected, back the toad up very slowly and slightly just until both latches raise up locked...

2) After all is connected, drive the RV slowly and slightly until both latches raise up locked.... 

What procedure do yall use and why??

John T  Never too old to learn    Live free dry camped in 80 degree weather Northwest of Okeechobee Florida, Lake Istokpoga Canal Boat Ramp 

I use #2 for two reasons. Reason 1 is that my Blue Ox manual said to do it that way. Reason #2 is that when you back the towed up you often will only latch one arm since they are rarely collapsed by the same amount. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Reason #2 is that when you back the towed up you often will only latch one arm since they are rarely collapsed by the same amount. 

Big Thanks Kirk, indeed the arms are seldom the same in which case I had to turn the wheels sharp to latch the second arm and Im gonna start using Number 2 exclusively yayyyyyyyyyy the wife will be happier also

Take care best wishes hope you're okay there in Texas

John T

8 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I use #2 for two reasons. Reason 1 is that my Blue Ox manual said to do it that way. Reason #2 is that when you back the towed up you often will only latch one arm since they are rarely collapsed by the same amount. 

I agree with Kirk, I pull forward and wiggle the MH steering wheel a bit to insure both locks snap into position.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

FOLLOW UP QUESTION for Kirk and Neighbor Ray,

Do you practice or find it necessary for say your co pilot to stay behind and watch to insure BOTH latches rise up and lock as you slowly drive a way a small but sufficient distance ?? I kinda like that idea even if unnecessary...........

Thanks guys for your help

John T

I either ask her to watch and verify, or she pulls forward and I verify, or in rare cases I have pulled forward and then gone back to look. But we do verify that the arms have both latched. That may not be necessary but it just makes good sense to me. In most cases, I could actually feel the arms snap into place, but still like to be sure. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Like Kirk I can feel the locks snap closed.  The driver can tell if one arm fails to lock, the towed vehicle will move to one side a bit when braking at slow speed. I watch my towed in the rear camera, which is on constantly.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

A side note to this thread; Some years ago I was talking with a man driving a Bluebird wanderlodge. He said one day an oncoming car honked and swerved away from him. He checked his rearview mirrors and a car was attempting to pass him, then he realized it was his towed. the right bar had broken and his towed was only attached with the left bar.

That is the reason my rear camera is always turned on when the MH engine is running.

Now back to regular programming.