Genie with a Trav'ler RV Satellite Dish

DIRECTV’s Genie DVRs require the use of SWM technology. That means you must either have a SWM-enabled dish like the Winegard Trav’ler SK-SWM3 or something similar. The dish must be capable of seeing at least three of DIRECTV’s satellite locations: the 99, 101, and 103 locations, or 101, 110 and 119. If you have any other type of roof mounted dish chances are the Genie wont work, but we found a way to fix that. Or rather a guy who can fix that. We have a 2011 Carrage that we bought two years ago. It had a 2009 or 2010 Winegard Trav'ler mounted to the roof. We had DirecTV service in our old trailer so we just transferred the boxes to the new trailer and hoped everything would work and it did, sort of. The glitch was we could not record on one channel and watch another. So we called DTV. They sent out a tech who messed with the wiring for a bit and checked some settings, but he said he could not go on the roof. So for the next 6 months we only recorded shows when we were away. In May 2018 we upgraded the the new Genie system in our living room and bedroom and were hoping that might remedy the situation. It did not, in fact we could not get the Genie to work at all with the roof mounted dish. We kept getting an error No Power to LNB. So we started using our ground dish which worked fine with the Genie. Just recently I found a retired DTV installer, a really nice guy, he said he could get our Trav'ler dish to work with the Genie. He came by last week and checked everything then told us he needed to pull another wire down from the dish and install some type of powered transfer switch. 5 hours latter "wallah" its working. We are now getting all the channels and can record up to five shows while watching another channel. He also modified the cable TV outlet, inside our water connections area, for our ground dish connection. I love this guy, my wife loves him more! Cost $300.00 and worth every penny..... If anyone needs this guys contact info please let me know. He is located in Portland Oregon. 

Edited by Lateboomer1

There's no mystery about how to use an older Trav'ler with SWM.  The instructions for doing that  have been located here for years: Using Winegard systems with SWM.  We converted our Trav'ler  SK3005 to SWM some  ~7 years ago.  But now it remains unused on our roof because we've cancelled DirecTV and now stream all our video.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We converted our older Dish by using a SWM8, it takes the four cables from the LNB and converts it to a Single line.  I did it myself for approx $100 worth of parts.  When we traded that RV for a newer with a new SWM Dish, I installed the SWM8 at our Home Base to continue using our Genie with our old dish.  If you're running multiple TVs, you just install a special splitter inside.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy  3500HD High Country DRW 4X4 Crew Cab w/Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood RW39MBL, Disk Brakes, MORryde IS & Pin Box, Comfort Ride Hitch, Level-Up Auto Level System, 17.5" Sailun H Tires, Onan 5.5K Genny, Dual ACs with Heat Pumps, Winegard Travler Slimline Automatic Dish, Splendide Stacked Washer/Dryer, Sleep Number bed, Residential Fridge and Induction Cook Top

• 1 month later...