Bye-bye, Chrome: 10 steps to help you switch to Microsoft's new Edge browser

RV_

Another in depth how to article from Ed Bott, my favorite tech author.

Excerpt:

"If you've been looking for an option to dump Google's Chrome browser, consider Microsoft's new Edge browser, which delivers much of the same experience you get from Chrome, with a few features that are downright superior. Here's how to get started.

For years, Microsoft has made the browsers that choosy web users loved to hate. First there was Internet Explorer, with an endless supply of security and compatibility issues. Then there was the original version of Microsoft Edge, which shipped with early releases of Windows 10. It was significantly better than Internet Explorer (granted, that's a pretty low bar), but there were just enough problems to make it unacceptable for everyday usage. That's why Google's Chrome browser is hands-down the most popular software on the web.

But all that changed with the release of the new Microsoft Edge (same name, new logo), which is now widely available on every major desktop and mobile platform. Because it's built on the same open source Chromium Project code base that Google uses for Chrome, it's almost a perfect clone of Chrome for things that matter, like rendering web pages and working with third-party code.

It's ... really good.

In fact, you might find the new Edge superior to Chrome in some respects. Google's business model is based on knowing everything you do on the web, whereas Microsoft's business model is based on paid services like Office 365. As a result, the new Edge is considerably more privacy focused than Chrome. And it has at least one killer feature that anyone who uses the web for research will appreciate.

If you're interested in switching, your first step is to install the new Edge from its official download site. Then follow these 10 steps to get things set up right from the start."

Source with all the rest here: https://www.zdnet.com/article/bye-bye-google-chrome-10-steps-to-help-you-switch-to-the-new-edge-browser/?ftag=CAD2e14604

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

The last few years I have tried about a half dozen of the clones and Firefox. I found each one lacking in many ways. I switched to Edge a few weeks ago and am well pleased.  This the first Microsoft product I have used in 10. 15, 20 years.  It uses my extension, works on my phones, and tablets. About time Microsoft. 

Yep Duke, I tried it just a few months ago and it was screwy on  my Microsoft Surface Pro tablets and even the Surface Go.

I just switched to it for good today. Much faster than Firefox. And more secure becuse Microsoft sells products, not my information. That makes Microsoft and Apple safer from a privacy standpoint than Google whose only real source of revenue is selling our data, private and public, and selling it. And they must be selling a lot of it.

That's why I used Firefox. And now will switch from GMail to my Outlook online account.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire