Hybrid Toad

We have a hybrid, a 2013 Ford C-Max which we towed some shortly after purchasing it. We got off the road for a few years and now are starting to travel again. The C-Max is a great little around town car, but when towed, using a Blue Ox Patriot brake, after about 3 -4 hours we start to get error messages. The Ford manual explains the error light as It will illuminate when a powertrain or high-voltage charge system fault has been detected. If the indicator stays on, or continues to come on, contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible." 

I suspect that most dealerships will be unable to resolve this issue, so I haven't taken it to them. Another complicating factor is the fact that the C-Max is a low profile car and that even with a 10" drop hitch, there is 5" more drop to the Blue Ox baseplate; therfore I am hesitant to run without braking system.

Thanks for any ideas. Phil D.

Phil & Susan & Skipton the big friendly Boxer
2005 Itasca Horizon, 2013 Ford C-Max
Bought S&B in Va. in 2013, now part-time. Started fulltime June 2011, Bought S&B in Va. in 2013, now part-time

At least give your Ford dealer a chance to retrieve any codes in the computers before saying they cannot find and fix this issue. IMO they are the most qualified service shop you'll find. We no longer live in a mechanical age.

A 15" height difference between MH and towed was not a good choice, now you need a 12" drop receiver  hitch to put your setup within the 4" difference band;  and be VERY careful where you drive to avoid getting hung on a swag in the pavement..  OTOH, you could buy an enclosed trailer instead of flat-towing.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

2 hours ago, susanphil said:

We have a hybrid, a 2013 Ford C-Max which we towed some shortly after purchasing it. We got off the road for a few years and now are starting to travel again. The C-Max is a great little around town car, but when towed, using a Blue Ox Patriot brake, after about 3 -4 hours we start to get error messages. The Ford manual explains the error light as It will illuminate when a powertrain or high-voltage charge system fault has been detected. If the indicator stays on, or continues to come on, contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible." 

I suspect that most dealerships will be unable to resolve this issue, so I haven't taken it to them. Another complicating factor is the fact that the C-Max is a low profile car and that even with a 10" drop hitch, there is 5" more drop to the Blue Ox baseplate; therfore I am hesitant to run without braking system.

Thanks for any ideas. Phil D.

Where does the error message appear?  I'm having trouble trying to visualize this?   Are you saying it is pulling to much current from the big battery or small 12V battery?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

It is more than likely a fault within the regenerative braking system. With the car turn off but the braking active, the system uses MG1 and MG2 as a generator to recharge the battery. It is getting a fault as the battery management system is not active but the braking system is trying to charge the traction battery but does not know the charge limit and state of the battery.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Archived