Auto Transfer Switch

Our new Arctic Fox came with a generator prep package which includes the most basic of all ATSs.  In preparation for the install of the Onan genset, I'm wondering about two options that are available to me in order to achieve the best surge protection for the electrical system. 

Option #1:  I could remove the existing ATS and replace with the following all in one unit.

https://www.makariosrv.com/switches/?sort=bestselling&page=6, or

https://www.makariosrv.com/switches/?sort=bestselling&page=1

Option #2:  Keep the existing ATS and install just the surge protector.

https://www.makariosrv.com/surge-protector-power-protection/

Is the choice between these two options simply a matter of cost and features or is there another option that would be "better", if you're defining the term by protection ability?  

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Your first two links didn't lead to anything specific, so are you asking if you should use the combo unit from TRC or the one from Progressive? I have used the TRC Suge Guard portable for many years and not worried about the onboard generator output for years, but one of the combo units in place of the ATS would be somewhat better protection. As to which brand is better, they both do the job that they claim to do. If you are up to doing repairs to your device yourself, then I give the edge to Progressive (slightly) because they will sell the end user parts where TRC does not. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The first two links take you to the following products: 

TRC 50A Hardwire - Model 40350RVC1 Hardwire Automatic Transfer Switch

(page 6)

TRC Surge Gard Plus Automatic Transfer Switch 50 AMP 41260-001-012

(page 1)

Model 40350RVC1 (page 6) is pricey but appears to provide have significantly more protection.

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

Spin, FWIW here's my take on the subject. The Transfer Switch portion is NOT so technical or critical, its pretty basic, just selects between two energy sources. HOWEVER the more critical, the greater degree of risk, the more technical portion is the spike and surge protection circuitry, so to get the most bang for the buck as far as protecting critical electrical components, I'd be more concerned with surge and spike protection. That being said, since you already have a transfer switch even though basic (its not rocket science) I believe the best money spent is on a high quality suppressor versus a transfer switch/surge protector combo. IE you don't need another transfer assuming yours works properly, so spend the money instead on a better suppressor. Its a chore to wade through different specs and bells n whistles and features to select the "best" unit, but the joules energy rating is a primary consideration. I'm much more concerned with spikes and surges on the shared utility then I am on my own onboard genset. I'm also concerned with proper pedestal and park wiring and grounding but that's a whole other topic. The park I was at a few days ago had some outlets wired at reverse polarity and there was inadequate earth grounding of the Neutral conductor but I got by...……...

Best wishes and Happy Easter

John T  "Back home again in Indiana"

7 hours ago, spindrift said:

The first two links take you to the following products: 

They don't take me there, but that is OK as I was able to locate each of them with the additional information. As I study the differences the most apparent is that the lower priced one has less protection from a large electrical spike at 2600 Joules of protection while the higher cost one has 3350 Joules of protection. But that is not the most important difference. The higher cost unit also provides both over voltage and under voltage protections that the less costly one does not.

The lower cost specs

Transfers to generator power automatically when energized after 30 second delay (generator mode). When both shore and generator power are available, generator dominates after a 30 second delay. Once generator shuts down, shore power activates after 3 second delay.

Limited protection from faulty park power

Provides protection against:

Power surges

Open neutral

Reverse polarity

Multi-mode surge suppression

50A, FLA mechanical interlocking contactors

UL approved – UL 1008 full transfer switch rating

UL/CUL listed

The higher cost unit spec's

The RVC compatible Surge Guard Plus transfer switch provides premium protection for your motorhome

This model provides enhanced features over other transfer switches on the market

The unit continuously measures shore power and will switch to generator power when shore power electrical conditions are beyond limits

Higher joule ratings, increased contactor ratings and a remote monitor make this unit widely accepted in the marketplace

RVC Communication allows instant display of voltage, current and fault conditions on an RVC compatible device

Total electrical protection from faulty park power and generator power

Provides the following protection

Multi-mode surge suppression (fuse protected)

Low (<102V) and High (>132V) Voltage

Mis-wired pedestal

Open neutral

Open ground

Reverse polarity

High and low frequency

Optional 2-line plain English display (display p/n 40299 and cable p/n 40258) with continuous visual indication of source voltage (L1, L2), load current or diagnostics

Transfers to generator power automatically when energized after 30 second delay in generator mode

When both shore power and generator power are available, generator dominates after a 20-30 second delay

Once the generator is shut down, shore power activates after a 3-4 second delay

Indicator lights on the front of the ATS indicate the presence of input power for L1 and L2

65A, FLA full-rated contactor mounted on vibration isolators to ensure quiet operation

UL Approved ATS - full transfer switch rating, UL1008

3350 Joules of power surge protection.

Basically, it is a choice of how much protection you wish to have or can afford. I would use the second, more costly unit if I were to replace the ATS. But what I actually did was to use one of the portable units and keep the OEM version of ATS.

Based upon your responses, I think it might make more sense to go with the Surge Guard 5550.  As an added benefit, it provides even greater joules of protection than the more pricey, all in one, ATS.

Thank you, gentlemen.

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

Did you mean the 3550? I don't find any 5550 so suspect a typo. I used a 3450, the portable version of the 3550 for more than 10 years with no problems and excellent protection. The advantage of the hardwired version is that you don't have to fool with to connect it each time you connect and that it is more secure. I have never heard of a portable one being stolen, but there is always a first time. 

Archived