Speed and MPG

Roadtrek 1

22 hours ago, Bill w/bus said:

Speed is not the only criteria for fuel mileage. Speed is a major component. That written engine efficiency, engine RPM are important factors.  Each engine has a specific efficiency curve that indicates RPM and fuel usage. Modern diesel engines typically operate with least fuel usage in the 1300-1500 RPM range. Most of the big trucks are geared to run 65-68MPH. If run less than that speed fuel mileage goes down. 

Fuel mileage will need some investigation specific to your vehicle.  Good luck.

Bill

Agree'd!  On a 75mph hiway, I'm the slow one driving 65, that's why I try to avoid big hiways.  Depends on the layout of the road, grade, roughness, etc.  I try to keep my truck between 16-1700 rpm.  Rams have 2 overdrives, I select the one per road conditions to keep my rpm in the sweet spot.  I go on rpm more than mph, and I don't give a rat's patootee what the mpg is.  If that was a concern, I'd hibernate.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

2 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

Wow, so I'm pushing a "glitzy resort" down the road.  Here all along I thought I was hauling a Freightliner chassis with a Cummins diesel behind it, pulling a 24' enclosed trailer.  

I don't really have a "style".  We started in a couple different fivers but I couldn't have my Harley with me so we switched to this set up.  Come on by our camp site sometime and I'll have a beer with you.  Just don't drive that smart car over and park it next to my Harley please.

LOL, I'll drive the KW over and park it but only if you don't have purple LED glow lights under that Harley. It's hard to be fancy with a beer so let's lift a few and compare notes about the world in general.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

11 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

LOL, I'll drive the KW over and park it but only if you don't have purple LED glow lights under that Harley. It's hard to be fancy with a beer so let's lift a few and compare notes about the world in general.

No purple glow lights under the Harley, but I do admit to having blue LEDs under the coach at night.  I fully support our boys in blue and make sure they are on every night.  You are always welcome my friend.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Archived