Solar trickle charger for toad

ToddF

Does anyone see a problem with this solar trickle charger connected to my toad battery while  I'm cruising down the highway?

Strongway Amorphous solar panel battery kit, from Northern Tool. $19.99

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660268_200660268

After 6 years, my Honda CR-V battery wouldn't hold a decent charge. (Just replaced at Auto Zone they install battery free).

My Delta Force draws the CRV battery down while in tow.

"Up to" 133mA output - meaning in blazing full sun.  Typical average output will be less than 50mA - far too small to trickle charge a car battery in a few hours.  How much does the Delta Force draw?  Use that as a starting point.  Whatever it draws needs to be put back in.  Take the continuous draw, and add to it 5 - 10% of the peak draw (actuated 3 - 6 minutes out of every hour).  I think you should look for a solar charger at least in the 2A/25W range - or run a wire from the coach to charge.

NO I have no problem with the "concept"  OTHER THEN I don't think it can provide enough current to power your Delta Force plus the Honda's requirements.

I have no idea how much current your Delta Force requires nor how much other current the Honda draws with the ignition ON (such as may be required for towing) and whether or not you remove fuses while towing BUT REGARDLESS THAT TEENY TINY 133 MA CHARGER (and that's only in full direct bright sun !!!)  ISNT LIKELY TO BE ENOUGH.  

In my opinion running a charge wire back from the RV is a MUCH better way to maintain the toads battery while towing. I use such on  my Honda CRV and DO NOT have to mess with pulling any fuses. However if you choose solar on the toad as above a 25 to 50 watt unit has a much better chance of powering the Delta Force plus whatever else the Honda requires while under tow. 

Solar is fine for maintenance BUT you need enough to power all the loads under tow. If you need more info on the various charge wire methods we discussed that recently in another thread.

John T

14 hours ago, ToddF said:

After 6 years, my Honda CR-V battery wouldn't hold a decent charge. (Just replaced at Auto Zone they install battery free).

You mean that the new battery doesn't hold up to the brake system use but the OEM battery did? I would try to find the reason for that. (most sellers of batteries will install free)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

19 hours ago, ToddF said:

Thanks for heads up that the mentioned unit is probably not good for this application.

Todd, While it would provide some small degree of charging, I think you're right its not good "for this application"  

"No, the 6 year old battery stopped holding a charge. Probably due to abuse. LOL. New one seems fine"

While I've had batteries last longer, six years if abused, isn't all that bad. Glad the new one seems fine but your Honda battery loads while under tow still need replenished to maintain near 100% SOC.

Thanks for the feedback

John T 

• 2 months later...

Archived