Smart ABS tone ring fixed

Lance A Lott

I bought Nadine a 2008 Smart Car for her birthday, it has 120k on it and the only things wrong with it was the horn and abs lights on. I put a remote horn button in and repaired the tone ring. 

There is a good utube video on taking the axle out so I won't go into that. The ring was cracked due to rust, the only rust on the car all the paint and stickers, bolts are pristine. I cleaned the ring and the axle shaft to bright steel then I braised the ring between the teeth. I filed of any excess bras and J B Welded it back on. So far if works great. Now I can get it inspected.

We will be running the car until Thanksgiving whether permitting so I will be able to tell if it will hold up. I will have plenty of time to get a new one over the winter if it fails.

this was a very easy fix I would think most HDT owners could do it them selfs. If I had not done such a good job cleaning everything I probably would not have needed  glue, I would have been able to,heat the ring and slide  it on.  I am confident that the braising will hold the ring unless it rusts again.

Now I need to do something about only having on key. I am thinking about a keyless entry kit with push button start. Any experience with putting one in a Smart?

Archived