waltcrowder

waltcrowder

Per the Tiffin web site, the specs for the current (2019) Tiffin Allegro say the hitch on it has a 5,000 lb. rating, so I can't see where there would be a problem.

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

Yes, and thanks for the reply.  I know I am well within the "allowable" weight; However, the gas engine isn't as powerful as the diesel, so my question is about performance of my rig.  I would love to buy a Wrangler, but I want to be able to get over that next mountain! ha!  Just how bad is that extra 1000 lbs of drag?

If it helps you, we lived fulltime in a 1998 Georgie Boy, Cruise Master on a 1999 Ford chassis with the early V-10 rated at only 275 hp. I did have a Banks performance package added to it but still had less power than you have. I towed a Honda CR-V that was about 3800# for almost the entire 12 years that we traveled in the CM and never had one problem from doing so. We crossed the Rocky Mountains several times, followed the Oregon & California coast, traveled the Ozark, Allegheny, Aderondak, and Blue Ridge mountains with it. With any gas-powered engine, you will be somewhat slower than a big diesel, but most of us don't live in RVs to race anyway. All you need to do is to keep your eye on the tachometer and watch you rpm both pulling uphill and holding back going down and you will do just fine. You also will not be the only V-10 chassis doing what you wish to do.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, SWharton said:

Remember you will be also filling it with your belongings, more weight..............

We were fulltime and had everything we owned with us. Walt should observe the weight limits as we did, but I guess I assumed that he knows that. We traveled at about 400# under the GVWR and about the same for our GCWR. Since chassis weight ratings have increased beyond what they were back in the 1999 series, I suspect his GCWR & GVWR are both higher than mine were. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We carry everything with us and are about 500# below on the GCWR. Even though our hitch is rated at 5000# Winnebago limits towing to 4000# and we come in at around 3700# towing a CRV.  I don't know if it would be the same with the Tiffin, he just needs to be aware of his numbers.

Archived