How To Service Fuel Filter / Drain Water

Cotreker

I would like to learn how to change my fuel filter(s) the do's and don'ts of the system.

1. Is there a fuel shut off (think I saw service tech close a valve)
  2. What is the pumping valve used for on drivers side of motor (D12 Volvo)
  3. How often should I be draining the filter on the passenger side front (found small amount of water and gunk)
  4. How many filters, brand recommendation. When changing the filter add fuel and replace

SpeedCo serviced the truck and allow the customer to stand and watch entire process.  When my fuel filter was removed I missed a few steps.  the lower housing was very dirty and the tech cleaned it out.  Wondering if this is contributing to a starting issue?  I have been using Amsoil fuel additive to help clean things up and the filter maybe catching years of tank build up.  Happy Easter.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

1 hour ago, Cotreker said:

I would like to learn how to change my fuel filter(s) the do's and don'ts of the system.

1. Is there a fuel shut off (think I saw service tech close a valve)
  2. What is the pumping valve used for on drivers side of motor (D12 Volvo)
  3. How often should I be draining the filter on the passenger side front (found small amount of water and gunk)
  4. How many filters, brand recommendation. When changing the filter add fuel and replace

SpeedCo serviced the truck and allow the customer to stand and watch entire process.  When my fuel filter was removed I missed a few steps.  the lower housing was very dirty and the tech cleaned it out.  Wondering if this is contributing to a starting issue?  I have been using Amsoil fuel additive to help clean things up and the filter maybe catching years of tank build up.  Happy Easter.

Do you have a Davco System?  If so YouTube has step by step instructions.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Drain on bottom to empty accumulated water. Swap filter out to clean filter media. Don't worry about a fuel shut-off valve, the filter is likely higher than the fuel level.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

A small amount of water and gunk on the forward right filter would not concern me, checked mine before heading out this weekend. About a 1/4 In in the bottom of the glass bowl, above freezing all is good. If you drain the bottom of your primary filter to remove water/gunk be prepared to refill loss fuel by the plug on the top. Even by refilling the filter from the top plug, there will still be air in the inlet line, loss vacuum on the inlet and fuel returned to tank. The ved12 will start and with luck, or by holding rpm at 1000 till the air is purge, you are good to go. You will know by when the ved12 quites coughing, probably less than 30 seconds. If you are having a bad day or just bad ju ju and the engine dies and refuses to restart, send me a PM and I will sent you my phone number and do I can to walk you thru an a purge on the ved12. Last advice leave the fuel drain alone unless water in freezing weather, and never use starting fluid to try and restart a ved12. VERY expensive mistake.

ppbajell.jpg

Volvo VNL / Missouri Titled RV

Ved12 425HP

Super 10 Spd

37ft KOA Fifth Wheel

Jeep Rubicon Toad

Archived