DPF Cleaning and VCADS

VegasFlyer

Does anyone have a section of the Volvo manual (D13), that covers DPF cleaning or experience with a similar issue?

Prior to bringing the truck down to SoCal for the bed build, we had removed and cleaned the DPF due to a DPF light on the dash.  On the trip down, the truck went through a couple regenerations.  We didn’t think much of it since it had just been cleaned.

On the return trip, we got the aftertreatment light that just indicates that the “Aftertreatment System is in Regeneration”. The system went through five regeneration cycles in 170 miles.  Each time the light would go out after the IDP showed Regeneration in Process.  The Aftertreatment  light would return about five minutes later and start the whole process over again.

When initiating a Parked Regen, the system goes though the motions and stopswithout any faults or messages that it is complete, about three minutes after starting.

As of now, those are the only indications, no fault codes or any other lights.  All gauges indicating normal and normal power and fuel consumption.

We have been scouring the Volvo E-Media site, with negative results so far.

On a trucker forum, someone posted that when the DPF is cleaned, that you have to reset the soot level on VCADS. We are trying to determine if that is the case.

On another forum we found a post by someone claiming to be a Volvo mechanic that said you should never initiate a Parked Regen unless prompted to by the IDP.

We have a call in to the Volvo dealer, waiting for a call back.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

You will have to have the “ codes” cleared and zeroed each time you manually clean or change most  parts on the DPF system. Unless you have deep pockets $$$$$ for the software you will need a dealer visit to clear and zero the codes. It gives the system a new start from point as to the condition of the DPF system. 

Volvo has changed the procedures over the years on what they allow as far as a system generated “parked regen” and a user requested “parked regen”.

Did the dealer call back?  I don't know Volvo specifically, but in generic terms you need to reset the ash level and put it in degreen with a service tool.  The ash level just resets the warning light timer for another 200K or so, and degreen just changes the regen parameters a bit for a green DPF.  It only lasts like 4-10 regens.

Neither one makes a major regen change like you have, so I'm kinda thinkin somethings wrong.  I imagine you checked out the DOC when you had the DPF out, so assuming it is good.  About the 3 min timeframe (on a warmed up truck) is where it is making the to dose or not to dose decision and fires out some test squirts to see if it gets back the results it wants.  If not it'll try again later.  With a service tool you can see the results of it all and can pick out who is having the problem.  If they look fine then you put the dosing unit in a beaker and flow test it manually controlled by the service tool.  Without the laptop you are pretty blind and are a bit stuck being a parts changer.  But a new dosing injector and a couple new pressure sensors & tubes never really hurt anyone.  They die all the time and get horribly inefficient before they die.  I think it would be a good gamble to take if you want to DIY.

Thanks Scrap!

The Volvo dealer did call back and said that they do not routinely reset anything with a DPF clean.

We may look at bringing in to diagnose what is going on.

As you said, they said that when hooked up, they could monitor a Regen to see what is happening, or maybe not happening.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Archived