Jump to content

South Dakota domicile question....

Recommended Posts

We're in the process of selling our home and declaring domicile in South Dakota. I emailed the DOL in SD and asked what needed to be done to license our MDT. They responded that will need to pay declared gross on non-commercial tonnage and need to include the weight of the 5th wheel and have a tonnage decal on the truck. Any idea what they mean?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If your MDT is already licensed in another state as a "motorhome" or "totorhome" the transition is very painless.  They have recognized & transferred these in the past.

Without me being able to create a link I would suggest the following to get you started.  Also, if you are going to use a mail service out of SD, they can most likely navigate you through the process.

For starters: Drop down to the HDT forum on the Escapee's Forum Site

Click on Heavy Haulers Resource Guide

Click on-The HDT Decision which brings up a drop down menu

Click on-State Listing of HDT Registrations

Click on-South Dakota

I'm not sure if all of the info. will pertain to your MDT but it should help you to look there & to also check with the MDT site on the forum, as well.

Todd E.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used Americas Mailbox and they did all of it for me without my needing to go to SD.  I have an MDT(IH 4700) and 5er(Newmar KA).  They handled it for a reasonable fee and continue to manage that for us.  We have found them to be professional and excellent customer service.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...