How do I figure tow rate on a truck??

Phil Saran

Trying to wrap my brain around towing rates for one ton diesel trucks.

I was looking at a Dodge Ram 3500 diesel 4x4 long bed dually on CarMax and they show a tow capacity of 29,000 lbs

a payload of 4430 lbs., curb weight of 7761 lbs. and a GVW of 11,300 lbs.  they do not show axle weights, but the 3 weights

they do show do not add up to 29,000.  Help?!?

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

You won't add up those weights to get to 29k. This is just a number the manufactures come up with. I think though what should add up though is the payload and curb weight to get to the GWVR of 11,300, but it doesn't, not sure why? If you subtract GVWR they have stated from the actual weight the vehicle weighs with all your passengers, fuel, hitch, and stuff, this will give you your left over payload capacity and basically what is left for pin weight of the 5th wheel.

The GCWR is the 29,000 lbs they give. This is the max weight of your truck all loaded + the 5th wheel weight. 

Payload weight = people + fuel + cargo + hitch + pin weight. If all this adds up more than your calculated payload capacity, you are over. 

When you are looking at 5th wheels, take it's GVWR (max weight it can carry) and calculated that into your GCWR to see where you are. You can also take 20% of that 5th wheel GVWR to get an aproximation pin weight. Don't pay attention to dry weights of 5th wheels. Plan your purchase around the max weight of the trailer so you know you can have capacity in reserve. 

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/vehicle /gcwr.htm

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

15 hours ago, Phil Saran said:

I was looking at a Dodge Ram 3500 diesel 4x4 long bed dually on CarMax and they show a tow capacity of 29,000 lbs

15 hours ago, BlueLghtning said:

The GCWR is the 29,000 lbs they give.

So, is the 29,000# the towing capacity or the GCWR?  Very different things!  If it's the GCWR, that does NOT mean the truck can tow a fiver that weighs 29,000#!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Place to start...

Definitions - it is important to start with understanding the terms.

i.e. (two examples that are found on truck towing guides)

• GCWR - Gross Combined Weight Rating - max allowable weight of tow vehicle AND ALL attached vehicles.  
  • MLTW - Max Loaded Trailer Weight - the highest possible weight of a FULLY loaded trailer based on the MINIMUM towing vehicle weight (truck)
  • GVWR - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating - max allowable weight on a vehicle
  • GAWR - Gross Axle Weight Rating - max allowable weight on the axle assembly (Front or Rear)

Basic video to help understand some of the issues - Matching Trucks to Trailer Video

On lower class trucks axle weight ratings will not add up to the GVWR of the Truck.

Truck classes are based or defined on GVWR which are influenced by various legislation, especially in lower class trucks. The EPA, commercial transportation (State and Federal), and other factors come into play with regard to Truck classifications (or another link). 

On Higher class trucks (like an semi truck class 7-8) the axle ratings often do equal the GVWR.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

What year is this Ram 3500? The reason I ask, each model year seems to increase towing capacity. For instance a 2017 Ram diesel has a max. towing  capacity of 31,210#; BUT, keep in mind the max. towing capacity is often calculated with one 150# driver, no passengers, 1/2 tank fuel, nothing carried in the bed or cab areas.

This online towing calculator will accurately and safely determine towing limits, and only works with accurate tow vehicle and trailer weights, otherwise it's just an unwise guess.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived