Satellite setup

I have chosen to not permanently mount my King Quest Satellite dish, I would love the convenience of having it mounted on the roof, but don't want to limit the usability of the machine. Has anyone permanently mounted it and regretted it?? Thanks. 

Here is how I currently have it setup and ran, kind of cheesy but it works

Jed Arnold

2015 flagstaff V-lite 28WRBS
2x Battle Born Lithium batteries
2000 watt Ames inverter/charger
King Quest DirecTV sattelite

2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn 4x4 for tow vehicle

We have had a tripod setup for 16+ years, recently installed a Traveler on the roof but still carry the tripod. We also have a TIVO Roamio to record OTA programs if needed. In the year we have had the roof setup we have only needed the tripod twice.

You may find he effort to put the domb on your roof will become burdensome over time.

Thanks for the info! There’s also the issue I just thought of that the king quest has a handle on the rear that blocks signal so if I mount it I can’t ever park my RV with the satellite handle to the South!

Jed Arnold

2015 flagstaff V-lite 28WRBS
2x Battle Born Lithium batteries
2000 watt Ames inverter/charger
King Quest DirecTV sattelite

2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn 4x4 for tow vehicle

23 hours ago, NDNOMAD said:

Thanks for the info! There’s also the issue I just thought of that the king quest has a handle on the rear that blocks signal so if I mount it I can’t ever park my RV with the satellite handle to the South!

Satellites are way UP in the sky. The handle will not block your signal any more than the plastic cover that surrounds the dish. If the handle blocked your signal, wouldn't they tell you to take it off when mounting it on the roof? 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I haven't seen a King dome with the dome off, but it may be that the dish won't rotate a full 360 degree circle, with the handle placed at the limits. I seem to recall they say to orient the unit with the handle located roughly towards the north, likely because the sats will never be located in that direction.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

15 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I haven't seen a King dome with the dome off, but it may be that the dish won't rotate a full 360 degree circle, with the handle placed at the limits. I seem to recall they say to orient the unit with the handle located roughly towards the north, likely because the sats will never be located in that direction.

Their instructions say that pointing the handle toward the north makes locating the satellite faster.  On their roof mounting instructions that say to point the handle to the "rear" of the trailer/motorhome. Obviously they can't control the direction that you park so you may be right about the 360 degree thing, or the little extra plastic for the handle doesn't interfere with reception. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

1 hour ago, Sun_shine said:

I learn to shorten the cable from rv to the receiver. The extra long cable was causing problems. Since I bought a 2 ft cable and installed it to receiver dish reception has been less app to lose signal and just works all around better.

For the longer cable are you using 3000 GHz rated cable?  Standard TV cable doesn't pass the very, very, very high frequency signal very well.  There should be numbers and letters on the cable like 3000 GHz.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

33 minutes ago, Al F said:

For the longer cable are you using 3000 GHz rated cable?  Standard TV cable doesn't pass the very, very, very high frequency signal very well.  There should be numbers and letters on the cable like 3000 GHz.

You're correct to an extent, Al, but make the number 3 GHz.

Dutch

9 hours ago, Al F said:

OOPS!  Yep the cable is labeled 3000 "M" Hz or 3 "G" Hz.  Sorry about the mix up.  Thanks for correcting.

That looks better... :D

Dutch

Archived