Floor joist in trk flatbed

runaway parents

Working on my new 30 year old truck bed have the old 2x6 t&g wood deck striped  off  plan on fering  floor joist up so I can put diamond plating on top. I need to know how far apart do the floor joist need to be in order to support a car with out bending diamond plate ? Don't want bird baths in my bed . My existing joist are on 24inch centers is this enough or do I need to ad more?

Well, it depends.  How thick will the diamond plate be?  If you're staying tandem, thicker plate will make for a better ride, and be less likely to sag.  I would probably split the span between joists where the car tires will be parked, and forget the rest.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

You need to provide a bit more info, what is the plate thickness, weight of the car or more importantly the wheel weights.     24" seems to great a span for anything under 1/2" steel.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

That is really thin for anything more than a smart or 4 wheeler.

You could perhaps run some stringers along the wheel track to stiffen the deck but, even that with 24" x-members is going to be flimsy.    What are the X-members made from?    How much cantilever do they have?

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

I gotta ask, why are you removing the wood decking?  Is it rotted?  If not, paint it with linseed oil and ride on.  I can tell you that those wood farm decks can handle much more than any of us are likely to load. Just be certain that the metal channels are intact, as they have a tendency to collect road grit and rust.

My 25 ton drag has a wood floor, with cross members 24" on center.  I wouldn't be afraid to put the Volvo up there.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

rickeieio makes a very good point.....!

I have data that shows alum checker plate is 50% more slippery than bare aluminum   Checker plate is great when it is new but once the edge wears off it becomes slippery.........but 5 bar patter is better than C102  (star) pattern for this reason.

Any grid larger than 8" O.C. will allow the deck to oil can.

Primary (longer) support members can be 24"-30" O.C. but you'll need secondary (shorter) at 8" O,C. The secondary (flat bar) need to run between (perpendicular) to the primary but these can stop 3/4"-1" away from the primary and do not need to be welded to the primary supports.

If you don't have experience welding hot/fast  (3/64" wire@27 volts ) 1/8" -3/16" fillet welds to alum I wouldn't recommend taking this on.  If the weld/ heat affected zone become to great the risk is making the finished deck look like it was hit by a sludge hammer....many times.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

Archived