Folks:

Maybe someone can give me some information on this. I apologize for the convoluted nature of this post.

We lived in our own house in Texas for 25 years. We got an RV, sold the house, and got an Escapees address. Then our plans were put on hold; one of our daughters was about to start a family. She wanted Mommy with her for the first three months after giving birth.

So, about three years ago we drove up to Chicago. We put our RV in storage and rented a basement in a house a few blocks from where our daughter and son-law-law lived.

Three months has turned into three years, and one granddaughter in Chicago has turned into two granddaughters. (We also wound up having another granddaughter in Massachusetts.)

When we first came to Chicago we had no idea how long we were going to stay. We were living in a month-to-month rental without a lease.

If we had wanted to change our drivers' licenses from Texas to Illinois we could not have; Illinois has some strict ID requirements, including proofs of address. We didn't have any. All our mail was to our Rainbow Drive address. We had nothing for Illinois, or at least, nothing that was acceptable according to their list. (Side note: It's much easier to get a voter ID card in Illinois (no documents necessary,) than switch your license.)

The landlady in whose house we were living just sold the house. We moved into an apartment. We have a lease and utility bills. So, we can get Illinois licenses now.

Here's the issue:

We no longer have the RV, but we still have the truck (Dodge Ram 3500) and the passenger car (Honda Fit). The car is with us in Chicago. The truck is with our son in Massachusetts. Both vehicles still have Texas titles and plates. My wife wants to keep the truck because she says we may go on the road again in a few years.

Here's my question:

What are the implications of keeping our Texas driver's licenses with our Escapees address, and keeping our vehicles with Texas plates?

If we are going to travel again then it will be much simpler for us to keep things as they are. Also, the truck almost never goes to Illinois. In fact, we hardly drive the car in Chicago itself; once every two weeks to do major shopping. Most of the driving is done back and forth to our other three grown kids in New York, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island, and back and forth to Texas once or twice a year where my wife still performs as a puppeteer.

I should note: I'm not trying to avoid Illinois state income taxes. I fill out Illinois tax returns. Also, we give our Chicago address for my wife's Obamacare plan. (I'm on Medicare.)

Thanks in advance for any useful information.

Harry

The car is "garaged" in Illinois, right?  IMO, it should then be licensed and insured in Illinois and you should have Illinois driver's licenses since you are living in the state.

The truck is "garaged" in MA, so it should have MA plates and insurance.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

11 hours ago, harrysteven said:

otWhat are the implications of keeping our Texas driver's licenses with our Escapees address, and keeping our vehicles with Texas plates?

To the folks at DOT in Texas it doesn't matter at all as they are happy to get the money you pay for them. But the issue could be with the state of Illinois. In Illinois it is the Secretary of State who issues driving licenses and vehicle registration.

If a person has moved to the state of Illinois, their valid out-of-state driver’s license is also valid in Illinois, but only for up to 90 days. A person needs to get an Illinois driver’s license if they plan to become a legal resident of the state. If a person is only visiting, they can drive in Illinois using a valid driver’s license from a different state.

Get Illinois License Plates?
New residents have 30 days to apply for an Illinois title and registration after establishing residence, provided the vehicle is properly registered in another jurisdiction. See the Vehicle Title and Registration for New Residents brochurefor more information about the documents you will need to apply. You must visit a Driver Services facility.

If you should be caught somehow and it shows that you have been living in Illinois for 3+ years and have not changed either, you could be fined. I have no idea just how you might get caught but a traffic violation of motor vehicle accident are ways it could very well happen. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived