SD Drivers License

NoDirectionHome

I'm not clear on the class of driver's license needed to drive an HDT  (non South Dakota) registered & titled as an RV in my current state.  Reading their (SD) regulations it seems I would need a class A based on weight.  I have not found the often spoken of area that excludes RV's or or truck / trailer.  I'm aware of the "private truck" exemption.  Because I'm registered and titled to our family trust (the truck & trailer), I really don't want to change the tractor to private truck.  Ideally I'd like to hear from the horses mouth, what license I will need.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Ok, I am confused. The truck is NOT registered in SD, but you are a SD resident?  Is that right?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Have you checked the HDT Resource Guide?
The info listed is a little dated but the link to the web site works. Based on my reading I agree that you need a Class A drivers license (based on their "Types of DL" , listed on the, web site, separate from the CDL info) but if you check out the CDL info (in the CDL Manual) on their web site it says :

Who Does Not Need A South Dakota Commercial Driver License?

•  Operators serving in the United States military, operating commercial vehicles in pursuit of military purposes.
  •  Operators of emergency firefighting equipment necessary to the preservation of life, property, or the execution  of emergency governmental functions performed under emergency conditions that aren’t subject to normal  traffic regulation.
  •  Operators of rental transporting equipment used as personal family use vehicles.
  •  Operators of recreation vehicles used as personal family recreational use vehicles.

EDIT: I disagree with the Resource Guides statement that a "special" license is not needed, simply based on my reading, but a quick call to their DMV might prove helpful. Make sure you ask the COMPLETE question. "Do I need a Class A drivers license to drive my motorhome, THAT WEIGHS MORE THAN 26001 POUNDS while PULLING A TRAILER THAT WEIGHS MORE THAN 10000 LBS."

2014 smart Fortwo

Yes, EXACTLY!  Sooo... Is an "HDT RV" covered or excluded from what they, meaning SD consider an RV or is it just for say class A RV over 26,000 lbs.  As you point out, it's somewhat contradictory, or at least open to interpretation.

SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

I think I posted an edit while you posted your last question.

I am "assuming" your HDT is registered as a MH? That makes it a recreational vehicle according to its registered state (where ever you have it registered and provided you are not using your RV commercially). SD must honor that registration (registration and DL are reciprocal). 

IE: If Texas says its a MH, then it is a MH. SD plainly exempts (from CDL ) vehicles that meet the definition of HDT's when  used "as personal family recreational use vehicles"

2014 smart Fortwo

You may want to PM ICPete.  He might have some info that could help you.  

Here is a snippet from his post in the For Sale forum;

2. The truck is licensed as a Private Truck in South Dakota. I was given to understand that SD would not register a semi-truck as a motorhome, although apparently some people have gotten away with it. When I bought it 3 years ago it was licensed as a motorhome in Wisconsin; I have a photocopy of that title if it would help for the next registration.

SD does not have a special class drivers license for private RV Mortorhome operation unless something has changed in the last few months.

2011 Volvo VNL 730

2015 Mobile Suites Dallas - Kansas RV Center

2017 Smart

2014 Smart...Looking for another HDT ride

2007 Freightliner FL60 Sportchassis

2008 Raptor Toy Hauler

2007 Dodge 3500 Dully 6.7 Cummins

2009 Heartland Big Country

SD does not have a special class drivers license for private RV Mortorhome operation unless something has changed in the last few months.

I recognize that now.  The problem is in there class A, B, and C licenses they don't mention Commercial until the last paragraph of the "C" description.  Thank you. -Steve

SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Archived