Blazecut fire suppression system

Ray,IN

Has anyone installed this system. It has systems for small auto enclosures up to large enclosures. This is for a rear-engine bus http://blazecut.com/local-application/buses/

The website does not list prices, but I found a VW website lists the small enclosure unit at $205.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

13 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Has anyone installed this system. It has systems for small auto enclosures up to large enclosures. This is for a rear-engine bus http://blazecut.com/local-application/buses/

The website does not list prices, but I found a VW website lists the small enclosure unit at $205.

Interesting system and products!

Suggest contacting Mac McCoy "Mac the fire guy"  to see if he is retailing the products & system/s.

BTW - Mac puts on regular seminars -including (at) SKP events. - He offers various engine and refrigerator fusible link actuated extinguishers.

Knowledgeable guy!

Second "BTW" - VW engine compartment fires were commonplace due to several actors - the first of which was the factory fabric fuel line. Regular replacement was an often neglected SOP - as they would deteriorate with age, and leak. Beetles had gravity feed, vans had a fuel pump.

Compounding the fire extinguishment "problem" was the magnesium transaxle center sections of many/most later models, including Porsche 914s. (Magnesium reacts violently to water application).

For VW van collectors (there ARE lots of 'em) - the VW system as seen on Youtube would be a good plan!

8 hours ago, NoDirectionHome said:

Putting wet stuff on the red stuff is Fire fighting 101.

Lloyd Layman is the "father" of the indirect method of water application - based on the principle of the expansion ratio of water to steam. Great for confined spaces, and still is for Class A fires (ordinary combustibles).

Not the best choice for *flammable liquid* or *electrical* fires - although it can/will get the job done.

Unfortunately the fog nozzle offered by this company - apparently does not have an adjustable  stream.

Also, for confined spaces there are many specialized extinguishing agents which are far superior to water.

Again - see the various extinguishers, either manual or automatic (via  fusible link) offered by MacMcCoy.

Better yet attend one of his seminars - schedule can be found on his website.

(No - I don't work for Mac - or receive and commission/s for endorsing the products he sells.  YOU can find most of them from various retailers yourself - - you just need to know what you're looking for).

I know Mac, and have attended his seminars a few times. It's been so long I don't remember all of his engine compartment suppression system. I'll email him when I get time, we're stuck at home since Feb 2016 due to DW being in an auto/ HDT accident. She had back surgery this April 13, which, per surgeon take almost a year to completely heal.

The problem with water systems is exactly that, what do you do drain the system when you expect to be camping in cold weather? Do you then refill the system prior to leaving your cold weather camping spot? Water is poor at extinguishing fuel fires.

The VW video is on the main page, the MH version is on another page of the Blazecut website. My first encounter with a VW fire as an apprentice fireman was somewhat frightening, spraying water on a VW carb (magnesium) only caused a big flash and more fire.

I haven't heard from anyone who has this Blazecut system, I might become my own guinea pig.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Again, the freezing issue comes into the equation, AFFF will freeze; unless that particular formulation substitutes something like RV anti-freeze instead of water? I know the FireFight hand extinguishers Mac sells will freeze. I'm going to order the Blazecut for my engine (bus model Blazecut) compartment when we can eventually get the MH out of the garage and travel once again.

On 5/10/2017 at 7:22 PM, Ray,IN said:

Again, the freezing issue comes into the equation, AFFF will freeze; unless that particular formulation substitutes something like RV anti-freeze instead of water? I know the FireFight hand extinguishers Mac sells will freeze. I'm going to order the Blazecut for my engine (bus model Blazecut) compartment when we can eventually get the MH out of the garage and travel once again.

Unless I'm missing something.....the automated SS30 system uses clean Agent HFC227 - which is a substitute for Halon 1211 and 1301.

It has nothing to do with AFFF (which would be used with water).

Anyway - looking forward to your reports on the Blazecut system (and the cost, LOL)

I see it now, I only noticed the S200 foam unit.  I'll have to talk with Mac sometime and discuss what I don't know about this.

Archived