Boondocking around Borrego Springs

dennisvr

If you're coming from Lake Havasu, take S22 west from SR 86 (Salton City). You'll find lots of boondocking areas throughout the State Park, the best is probably around Rockhouse Trail just before the road turns south towards Borrego Springs.

There's also a smaller boondocking area at the Peg Leg Smith monument, at the intersection of S22 and Henderson Canyon Rd.

Water and dump are available at the state park campground near the visitor center west of town. There's also a dump station at the Arco in Salton City at Hwy 76 and S22,

Be careful, the first couple of miles on S22 coming from Hwy 76 are very washboardy - once you're out of town the road is fine.

Several years ago we came up from the I-8. Sorry I don't remember the exact highway numbers but we were just working our way north into the park. Just a few miles south of the park we came upon a huge area good for boondocking. Apparently it was once the staging area for road construction. Now it is completely empty and great for a few nights stay. There were probably a dozen other rigs in the area while we were there. None closer than 50 yards ---- So there is plenty of room.

This place may be listed in the Escapees' book that lists boondocking sites. Good luck.

Archived