New RVers

fmyers007

We are looking at a new 5th wheel toy hauler camper to live in when we are not trucking across country. I have a 99 KW now with a 130'' sleeper aka "A House truck" with a 285" wheelbase. It is much like a motorhome and I still work the truck. I plan on moving the camper from place to place with my KW mostly between SC and Fl until we retire. We have places in SC and Fl we can park for free but at times we will be in a RV park for a change of pace. I just have to do a few mods to the rear of the truck in order to pull the fifth wheel camper but we are looking forward to a new adventure. From what I understand, I can move my camper with a commercial vehicle without any problems. Any tricks, tips, info is always helpful.post-56622-0-93330900-1486945368_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Since you have a commercial license I wouldn't think that there would be any problem. Others have much more knowledge than I do and may have a different opinion. I suppose there might be an issue in some places with the overall length if you get the biggest 5'er you can find. I doubt that anyone will say you don't have enough truck for your trailer. <grin>

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Your Commercial hitch probably does not have any side to side articulation which could put stress on a RV style frame if you get in any situations that require it to move. Semi trailer frames are stronger and can handle the hitch not flexing.

Also the commercial hitch may be too high and you may not be able to raise the pin box on the trailer enough to keep trailer level, putting an uneven loading on your axles, possibly overloading one (assuming you have multiple axles on the trailer). Check you pin height in comparison to hitch height with both level.

Lastly, most of us with HDT's use an airride hitch to help smooth out the ride in the trailer due to the suspension on the truck being meant for much larger pin loads.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

PS: it can be done, there is a commercial driver with an Argosy that frequents the HDT forum on here that pulls his toyhauler with his commercial truck.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

My concern is that advertising on the commercial truck could cause problems in some campgrounds. That said, my daughter parked her Swift company tractor in a campground that does not allow advertising where I was staying without any hassles. She parked in the boat trailer section, not in a campsite, but she was very visible.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived