Need info on renewing my driver's License

rbdaves

I have already tried to post this question, but it seems to have disappeared, so here goes again

Due to my age, I am no longer able to renew my driver's license online or by mail and have to show up in person at a Texas DMV location.

I have questions as to what I should do to prepare.

Will there be a driving test?

Will there be a written test?

Where might I find Texas state laws that I need to know in order to pass a test?

We are going to El Paso in late Feb. Is it necessary or advisable to make an appointment?

If I just show up at an El Paso DMV should I expect a long wait?

Thanks in advance.

Ron Daves

Located in So. Cal

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

According to this site you'll need to complete the renewal application, vision test, update photo, verify SSN, identity and citizenship. There are links to more info on these topics.

We did ours at the far NW office - got there early and a reasonable amount of wait.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/renewal.htm

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Drivers Age 79 or Older

In addition to the regular driver license renewal requirements, individuals 79 years of age or older must meet extra requirements to renew their license.

Renewals

The following requirements only apply to driver licenses and commercial driver licenses. (Motorcycle fees do not change.)

Age Group Special Instructions Expiration Renewal Fee 79 – 84: Must always renew in person 6 Years Regular fee 85 or older Must always renew in person On the individual’s second birthday after the previous expiration date. Reduced fee for driver license or CDL only
Driving and Vision Tests

Customer Service Representatives (CSR) must conduct a basic medical evaluation on everyone who applies for a driver license. Individuals will only have to take a driving test if after being evaluated it is determined they may not be able to safely operate a vehicle. Read more about the medical evaluation process.

Individuals 79 years of age or older must take a vision test.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you have any eye problems (like retinal problems) you can get the form online and take it to your ophthalmologist and have it filled out indicating the limits of correction have been reached. We do that for Dave, makes it easier since he has only partial vision in one eye that can't be determined using the little 'test' machines they have.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived