Is a NEST thermostat RV compatible?

POPS&KIKI

• 4 weeks later...

Rick could you please show how I could hook up the Google Nest thermostat e in my trailer? It’s the cheaper version of the nest learning thermostat. I have been searching the Internet but haven’t found someone hooking up that thermostat in their trailer. I need help please!

Edited by BParkhouse

On 9/9/2020 at 11:48 AM, Rick James Bish said:

I did a video today of the install. I had hoped to go over the settings for configuring after the install but the display was blown out. I will record that part again and update the video. I have one installed up front and one in the bedroom.

Rick could you please show how I could hook up the Google Nest thermostat e in a trailer? It’s the cheaper version of the nest learning thermostat. I have been searching the Internet but haven’t found someone hooking up that thermostat in their trailer. I need help please! I have a Colman Mach thermostat right now. The Nest thermostat E has less connection spots.

Edited by BParkhouse
Misspelled

On 9/8/2020 at 11:16 AM, Rick James Bish said:

Old topic I know but here is a diagram I made for using the Nest Learning Thermostat in a 12vdc source RV. Requires a 24vac transformer here  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C3J6PQX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share  and relay board here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DYLKH74?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share .  The cost of the transformer and relay board together is less than $40 and this setup controls AC with two fan speeds and heat.

RV12VDCDUALFAN

How would I hook the wires to this one? I was thinking I would only have a fan high and not have fan low. Where would the transformer go or would it not be compatible?

7615C258-1D19-4EE1-B79E-50F95174085D.jpeg

Transformer would go to c terminal and r terminal. It would be wired the same as the diagram above except you would not have the gray wire.

Im gonna install one of these Easy Touch Thermostats . . . Much easier

Edited by Ranger Smith

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

6 hours ago, BParkhouse said:

Rick could you please show how I could hook up the Google Nest thermostat e in my trailer?

I just checked and Rick has not visited this forum since Sept. 14 of 2020, unfortunately. He does have a YouTube channel so you may want to become a subscriber.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2020 at 1:16 PM, Rick James Bish said:

Old topic I know but here is a diagram I made for using the Nest Learning Thermostat in a 12vdc source RV. Requires a 24vac transformer here  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C3J6PQX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share  and relay board here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DYLKH74?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share .  The cost of the transformer and relay board together is less than $40 and this setup controls AC with two fan speeds and heat.

RV12VDCDUALFAN

This relay board is a great product, but the max current recommended is 10 amps, which is too low from a safety point.  In rush current from a compressor could be 2x that amount and the relays should be over rated to keep from pitting the contacts, and creating resistance on the contact connections.

Those relays are just acting as a switch. They are not the ones that carry the higher current. All they do is tell the system what to turn on. ust like the switch in the thermostat itself. It is just a closure.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

So I'm having an issue with my Nest not recognizing the white wire. I don't have the learning version.  Just the basic Nest.  Currently I have heat only.  I have it set up identical to the diagram attached with the inverter and relay board.

My wires are:

Inverter Terminal 1 - R

Inverter Terminal 2 - C

Heat - W

The thermostat powers up and I have done the setup but it says no wire detected in the W connector.

I'm guessing it's sensing potential between the white wire and the neutral?  Should I swap the terminals on the inverter?  Or is there something else I'm missing?   

I notice on the Google Power Connector for 2 wire they run one AC leg through the white wire and the other one through the red wire.  Though i think if I do this it will not allow the relay switch to work correctly.    I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Thanks!!

Screenshot_20231008_124650_Photos.jpg

71Iu3puyhaS~2.jpg

Edited by IFlyEm

• 2 months later...
On 9/9/2020 at 1:48 PM, Rick James Bish said:

I did a video today of the install. I had hoped to go over the settings for configuring after the install but the display was blown out. I will record that part again and update the video. I have one installed up front and one in the bedroom.

On 9/8/2020 at 1:16 PM, Rick James Bish said:

RV12VDCDUALFAN

Can this work with a 3 wire system?