Is a NEST thermostat RV compatible?

POPS&KIKI

In reading the installation manual for the NEST it seems to be a possible match, depending upon what thermostat you have now. Your RV isn't so much the issue as what you presently have as there is a very wide range of thermostats in use by RV manufacturers. Some still use the simple, 2 wire thermostats that take power from the furnace and just supply an open or closed connection to the furnace which then heats or shuts down. Others have a telephone, RJ11 connector with 5 wires which controls both air conditioner and furnace, via a control circuit board located in the air conditioner. There are several other variations of thermostat and devices and there are also several brand names that are not all exactly alike. If you share what thermostat you have now, it may be possible to convert, but we need more information to say.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Bigger issue than the simple wiring between the t-stat and the devices, is the connectivity issues of devices like nest. Most of their optional functionality goes out the window without an internet connection. If you plan to have a mobile hotspot, always powered and providing connection to the t-stat, then they function much as advertised. If not, then no, they won't perform as advertised.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I believe that most home units ( at least every one i've installed or repaired ) use 24 volts off the system. The RV systems run off 12 volts. It says on page 3 of install manual that nest is compatible with 95% of 24 volt systems.

Edited by Ranger Smith

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

I believe that most home units ( at least every one i've installed or repaired ) use 24 volts off the system. The RV systems run off 12 volts. It says on page 3 of install manual that nest is compatible with 95% of 24 volt systems.

Yep, that's the real problem with attempting to use a household 'stat. I suppose one could use a 12/24 convertor to obtain 24VDC if everything else worked out. They are sold on Amazon.

Edited by RayIN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...

I have used 3m Filtrete Radio Thermostats ever since they first came out. The units I have say "connect to 24v supply" but they also have battery back up ( which won't run the wifi module). In talking with their tech I found that the 24v compatibility is the norm but their units will work fine on as little as 8 volts. I just ran a 12v line from a nearby RV source and connected it to the thermostat and it has worked fine for year. Might be worth a call to nest tech support to ask the usable voltage range that they will work on.

Yes, I would like a nest system in my RV but what I have lets me check on temps when I am away from it (for our dog's sake). We just returned home after 10 days at our kids for the Christmas/New years events and the whole time I was able to check and control it from 500 miles away.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

• 2 years later...

My daughter got me a NEST for Christmas, NOOOOOOOOOO it will NOT work in MY (might yours, mines a 12 Volt On/Off type) RV. Its geared more towards residential 24 Volt 5/6 wire, while many RV's (not all) are straight 12 Volt On/Off unit like mine. Sure a person could modify and electronically rig up a 12/24 volt system and/or adapters etc and make it work in an RV, but short answer is no its geared more towards 24 volt systems. If you happen to have a more complex heat pump or mini split arrangement etc etc that uses a residential type 5/6 wire 24 volt T Stat, now that's a different story, if so Id go for it.

But most anything is possible with electronics. I like its concept in a home however and may use it there. I happen to have a DUAL FUEL system, Heat Pump 40 degrees and above but Natural Gas High Efficiency below 40. My current set up has 2 extra wires (from outside thermometer) into my Honeywell Smart T Stat to monitor outdoor temp, but when I called NEST and asked how/where to attach those two extra wires they had the deer in the headlights response and said I had to get a certified NEST installer do it...…..   

John T 

• 1 month later...

Actually the Nest is powered by 24VAC not 24VDC, so you would need a transformer such as a doorbell one that converts 110AC to 24VAC OR there are converters out there that convert 12VDC to 24VAC  for CCTV cameras and I believe you would have to put that power in on the Common C wire of the Nest? I am still working on it but I will get it figured out soon enough

link: https://powerstream.com/inv-12dc-24vac.htm

IF you want computer control thermostat / Home automation then look at systems that do not rely on a cloud based engine.

Here is a thermostat that uses 24v or 4 AA batteries. It uses zigbee to communicate: https://www.centralite.com/products/pearl-thermostat

Here is a Home automation hub that is local and can be used to control the thermostat and other things : https://hubitat.com/

Not as simple as Nest or EcoBee but can be a fun little hobby for those that like to mess with stuff.

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel

Speaking of Ecobee thermostats, this article explains how the man adapted an Ecobee for use in their MH.  Perhaps it may be useful in your project. That  particular Ecobee SI model is obsolete/no longer available since the article was written.  https://www.janeandjohn.org/pages/Ecobee1.html

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 10 months later...

Old topic I know but here is a diagram I made for using the Nest Learning Thermostat in a 12vdc source RV. Requires a 24vac transformer here  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C3J6PQX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share  and relay board here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DYLKH74?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share .  The cost of the transformer and relay board together is less than $40 and this setup controls AC with two fan speeds and heat.

RV12VDCDUALFAN

Edited by Rick James Bish

4 hours ago, Rick James Bish said:

Old topic I know but here is a diagram I made for using the Nest Learning Thermostat in a 12vdc source RV. Requires a 24vac transformer here  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C3J6PQX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share  and relay board here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DYLKH74?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share .  The cost of the transformer and relay board together is less than $40 and this setup controls AC with two fan speeds and heat.

RV12VDCDUALFAN

Wow Rick, now that's an entrance to the forums I doubt anyone can top! Welcome to the forums and I hope to read more of your expertise articles. I've been contemplating installing an Ecobee 4 in our MH, but it's above my level of electrical knowledge.

The newer Ecobee EB-EMSSI is battery-powered. perhaps I can figure out how to install it instead of the ecobee 4.

Edited by Ray,IN

want to find this later. 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

20 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Wow Rick, now that's an entrance to the forums I doubt anyone can top! Welcome to the forums and I hope to read more of your expertise articles. I've been contemplating installing an Ecobee 4 in our MH, but it's above my level of electrical knowledge.

The newer Ecobee EB-EMSSI is battery-powered. perhaps I can figure out how to install it instead of the ecobee 4.

Thanks. I just know how frustrated I got trying get this all lined out and figured a diagram and video would speed things up for the next person.  I think this same setup would work with any smart thermostat that is 24vac.

A word of caution: Not all roof AC units have the necessary interface to work with typical home thermostats. I have used several RiteTemp units successfully for years but when I got the new Atwood Air Command 15.5k Heat pump/ AC unit I found that the thermostat is a proprietary design that has a digital interface to the AC. As such, a Nest nor any other home Thermostat will work with that unit.

Having said that, however, I will add that this is by far the quietest RV AC unit I have ever seen.  Even at full blower speed and full cooling/heating we can talk standing under it and can watch tv without having to turn the volume up to the max. So, This alone, made it a no brainer for me to choose to give up the convenience of a Nest or other WIFI capable smart thermostat.

This thermostat does come with its own wireless (IR) remote control, though). Just as a clue, this is what the actual thermostat unit for this AC looks like:  https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.CTDdf0ErI8OpUaLvPaTlOgHaFj&w=191&h=160&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&dpr=2.25&pid=3.1&rm=2

Edited by budeneighe

Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

• 2 weeks later...

Rick,

Thanks for the resource. Do you have a traditional website?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 9/9/2020 at 3:19 PM, Rick James Bish said:

Thanks. I just know how frustrated I got trying get this all lined out and figured a diagram and video would speed things up for the next person.  I think this same setup would work with any smart thermostat that is 24vac.

I have an added complication. I have a 24K BTU basement heat pump that is inner-connected with one LP furnace. When the heat pump is unable to maintain set temperature, the LP furnace is automatically turned on.

I think your schematics, links, and the video may be very helpful; much better than starting from scratch.

On 9/18/2020 at 3:26 PM, RV_ said:

Rick,

Thanks for the resource. Do you have a traditional website?

Hey Derek, You still surviving in the Louisiana outback?  Noticed your Roadie site seems to be down so Just wanted to let you know that my website is still Myrving.com.  We have left the world of the full timers for health reasons and now live in St Augustine (kinda like louisiana, we have gators , too). Hope you are well and happy. We certainly are. 

Hey Budd!

Moved to Colorado! And moving my website to GoDaddy who I have the domain registered with. Sent PM - good to hear from you!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 4 months later...

I wanted to add and clarify something that was in the video about installing a Nest in your RV. I must start out by saying what fantastic job you did on the video.  I am in the trade so I understand how important it is that you make things as easy as possible for a DYI or someone with no experience.  This was easy to follow and very precise as well as many tips to make the process easier.

Now to the point. Thr Nest Pro is a setting option that can extend your warranty if you input a authorized Nest Pro dealers code. Normal warranty for a Nest is 2 yrs. The code extends the warranty to 3 yrs. In the video it refers to the Nest Pro option being a different name for the same Tstat but sold as a professional grade.