New to the HDT scene

StubbleJumper

Hello everyone, been lurking here for a couple months after spying an HDT for sale. Been reading and reading.

Little background on the DW and myself. I have a half ton, and a 25' bumper pull. I ride dirt bike, and recently bought her a quad. The poor half ton was sure struggling in the Rocky Mountains trying to pull the trailer, dirt bike, quad, generator, etc. No new news that everyone has heard. To small a truck for the weight.

Upon looking at used one ton's I came across a 1994 Kenworth T600. 3406e, 13 speed, single rear, and deck. It is a high mile truck, 1.8 km, but had a new motor put in a 1.5 km. Also a new rear end 60,000 km ago.

I am taking the truck to get a pre-buy inspection, and oil analysis on engine, transmission, and rear end. I have taken the truck for a drive, drives good that I can tell.

Just wondering if there is anything you could recommend that the shop could look for, or myself?

Thanks for the information!

HI Stubble Jumper!

Welcome aboard. We have had our Kenworth for 10 years now and always look forward to heading out, "Hitch Itch".

That KW sounds good on the surface. What's the asking price? In short you are on the right track. In this case I would like to

know how much life is still on the brake linings and how the clutch is. One other helpful thing I would check for is a resent

"DOT" safety inspection sticker. This will give you a certain amount of comfort as far as being roadworthy. The clutch is

important since it is an expensive repair. They may have replaced it when the engine was replaced. Is there a printout of the

engine replacement and service records.

That should get you started.

Welcome to the Dark Side!

roadfitter

PS: The Kenworth Dealerships have been the best! There usually more than happy to answer your questions.

roadfitter

2000 T-2000 10 speed autoshift DD430/500 H.P.

2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfitter597

Holiday lite trucks.

Hey roadfitter,

When I asked the shop about the pre-buy inspection, they stated they will give it a CVIP (Commercial Vehicle Inspection Program) level inspection for me. The shop I have had dealings with before and they are quite picky, which is a good thing when I am on this side of the coin! haha

One would hope they would tackle the clutch when the motor was replaced, but yes, the clutch and transmission are the unknowns at this point. The owner has a stack of paperwork that I need to go through to verify all the things that have been replaced.

We had planned on doing the inspection this Monday, but with the temperatures dipping to the -20C mark, we hit a couple of snags and are going to wait for a warmer day. He is asking $20,500. There is going to be some elbow grease and fine tuning when it comes to an older truck. Just want to make sure the main components are worth the asking price.

I do think owning an HDT will shift our camping from less boondocking, and to more road trip/campground camping but that is something we are ok with. Don't feel like getting a truck like that stuck haha
Thanks for the information regarding the dealerships, might have to phone the one in the city and verify the motor work.

Archived