Kwikee/Lippert Manual Steps Falling Apart

Kevin H

I have a four-step Kwikee/Lippert step setup on our 2013 Montana.

So far two of the rivets that are pivot points have failed. One on the right, and today, one on the left. I easily drilled out the hole and put in an grade 8 bolt when the right side broke a couple years ago. Probably will do it again for the left.

Also, a rivet that holds on the step plate to the support brace broke. Haven't fixed that yet - thinking about having the plate welded to the braces.

Anyway, anyone having the same issues? I thought there was a step recall but I don't remember what the recall issue was.

Anyone know if these rivet issues were the recall? How long is the warranty on this item (try to keep a straight face when you spit out 'WARRANTY!!!!?????)

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

The only step recall I have found is for electric steps.https://www.automd.com/recall/lippert_m/

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Here is a recall notice. Although this is for lifestyle there is also one for forest river that I know of. I would also expect it to include all manufacturers that use a lippert frame.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM481791/RCMN-15V377-1214.pdf

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Looks like Kevin H performed the recall himself. He did what the recall describes and pictures.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Had to same problem it just gets worse and worse.Throw them in the garbage buy a new set from mor/ryde $348 dollars free shipping online at tweets RV. They will only get worse get rid of them before you get hurt the new mor/ryde safer stair, works great took about 20 minutes to install. They go all the way to the ground with adjustable legs.

Archived