Camping World Warning - My Story

RusLwt001

OK I will be the first to admit that I made a horrendous mistake by purchasing my Travel Trailer and two insurance plans from the Camping World dealer. Some of you may have heard of the company – Safe-Guard, owned by Camping World.

So I paid the $895 for Tire &Wheel insurance and another $895 for the GAP insurance. I recently had a blow-out on the freeway and upon my return home I called the Safe-Guard Warranty Corp. to file a claim. The woman on the phone gave me three steps to follow: 1. Take pictures of the blown tire; 2. submit all receipts for the replacement costs; 3. submit a copy of the Safe-Guard contract. When I did all three and called back to see if I could submit via email, I got an entirely different answer. I was told at that time, that none of those things applied and because I did not contact Safe-Guard at the time of the blowout, my claim was summarily denied.

I went from zero to pissed off in a real hurry. I called back to cancel my policy, an entirely different person answered and said she would now approve the claim. Unbelievable. All this aggravation for $92.

Three weeks later, same wheel, different tire, blows again in the same manner. Learning from my first experience, I followed all the rules. Called to notify of the blow-out, took tire to the facility they approved and waited.....The facility called Safe-Guard to tell them the tire was completely blown out and that it appeared to be total radial separation. Safe-Guard denied the claim because it did not fit their definition of a justifiable reason.

I am so done with anything Camping World. I have submitted, both online and by letter cancellation requests for both the Tire and Wheel policy as well as the GAP policy. Based on the aggravation I am going through for $92 - can you imagine what it would be like for $10-30k for the GAP????? I do not want to find out.

So, here is what I now have to wait for. Initially, the website states that a representative will contact me soon about the cancellation. Yea, right. Then the process will take 5-6 weeks, be returned to the original dealer, who must pay me the owed amount. I really do not have any faith in this process. I can't believe I am going to be out almost $1700.00 over this.

Let’s add one more thing....I originally submitted a claim resulting from the sales process which included prepping the wrong Trailer, paperwork having to be completed six times because he kept getting the VIN wrong. So even after that, looking at my Safe-Guard contracts....he submitted the wrong VIN to them for both coverages. I'm pretty sure that will cause additional problems as well.

I have filed the complaint with Camping World, posted on the Good Sam Forum and it would be nice to get Marcus Lemonis to respond to this issue, but after the TV interview he recently did, I just don't see him caring about continued or return business. I am willing though to take this as far as I can to get my money back and to hit every RV Forum with this complaint until I do.

Do NOT under any circumstances buy GAP or Tire and Wheel insurance from Safe-Guard - who is owned by Camping World/Good Sam. Here is one more tidbit for whoever actually reads this.

My wife and I have already decided to go full-time and are looking to purchase a motorhome very soon. Guess where we won't be going!

Warranty companies don't make money by paying claims, they make it by getting your money and keeping it.

As you found out talking with most of them is hopeless, instead go to the contract, with a magnifying glass if necessary, and make a written list of each step. Space it out a bit to leave room for hand-written notes as you complete each step and print several copies. ASAP after any incident you suspect may be covered get out a sheet and make your notes about what happened , when, where and who else was involved on the back side. Now start on the front side following each step exactly as specified in the contract. DO NOT let anyone on the phone convince you to violate the contract, that will just deep six your claim as soon as you talk to the next person who will deny everything and point to the contract. Note the name and other information of each person you contact as well as what you were told to do, you may need additional sheets.

Paper is a pain but having a written log of the information is a lot more convincing than a computer file.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

After two bad experiences with Camping World, it has become my repair shop of last resort. I consider any other repair/service option preferable. The second time I had a problem I called customer service. They said they would look into it and get back to me. I never heard from them.

'02 2830 Trek

We purchased our RV at CW. We had shopped many places and found the one the DW liked there at a very good price. We did not buy any extended warranty or other insurance from them.

Fast forward a couple of years. We decided we needed another a/c as we spend a lot of time in Texas and other hot places. We called CW for an estimate. I thought it was pretty high given what I had researched online. Called a "mom and pop" RV dealer here and they quoted me the same a/c with installation for $300 less than CW. Guess where we went.

CW is my very last choice for anything... service or parts.... now.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Sorry you had a rough time at Camping World. But welcome to the forum.

Camping World has shops from coast to coast. They seem to be successful, but it's an absolute mystery to me why? I know of very few satisfied customers. They are masters at "up selling" and "cross selling". They are in a position to absolutely own the RV parts and repair business if they would just put their customers first rather than "maximize revenue" from those customers.

Jim

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

Only way I'll buy anything at CW is if there is no other viable option.

I shopped for a Splendide combo unit earlier this year. Found one online at a good price, delivered. Called a CW 30 min away and asked if they'd price match. Retail mgr didn't call me back so I ordered the online one. The next day, the retail mgr called and said he would price match. Too late, the online order was enroute.

BTW, that is a minor disappointment with CW. The 2 times they failed to correctly repair my coach really did them in for me.

Archived