Learn-about-the-dangers-of-towing

SouthofBorder

One of the myths perpetuated by unscrupulous sales personnel in the RV industry is that one does not need to worry about sway with a fifth wheel trailer using a hitch mounted over the tow vehicle axle. While the oscillation associated with trailer sway is more prominent with a vehicle using a rear mounted ball hitch than an over-the-axle hitch (on pick-up's) , dangerous sway can occur with a fifth wheel that does not have sufficient pin weight. I have noticed several fifth wheel toy haulers lately moving at Interstate speeds where the tow vehicle is being jerked upward then side-to-side every time there is a bump in the roadway. Without any doubt, the load in the "garage" exceeds what is needed to maintain an adequate pin weight.

There can be several additional reasons for sway besides incorrect bias related to towed vehicle weight and the percentage of pin weight. Those that quickly come to mind are bent wheels, axle alignment, mis-matched tires, broken cross members and spring fatigue.

IMHO, it is our responsibility (when the opportunity exist) to tactfully speak to other RV'ers that obviously are overloading and mis-loading their vehicles about the dangers and appropriate methods to correct the problems. The key word is tact. Often a RV'er may be to the point of exasperation with a sway problem and readily welcome someone asking if they might be able to help correct the issue, and then there are always those who are defensive and believe that no one could ever tell them something that they do not all ready know. The video you have linked us to would be an excellent show-and-tell tool if downloaded to a smartphone for ready viewing. Being able to show someone what is happening rather than just giving words of warning may be all it takes.

The comment recently made by one of our forum contributors that those of us who tow with HDT's possibly have the safest vehicles on the road due to our anal personal vehicle inspection regimen, maintenance and understanding of the relationship between total load, load distribution, braking distance, speed and acceleration to total vehicle control. HDT'ers are often experienced tow'ers having started with lighter vehicles more than several years before getting our HDT. I learned about trailer sway the "hard way" about 38 years ago when I was towing a '73 nineteen-foot Vega (remember that brand?) that I had added on a rear carrier with a generator, 5-HP outboard motor and heavy tool box. Luckily no one was hurt and serious damage was avoided but the van seats were badly soiled as a result. I thought it was OK to add weight to the rear of the trailer because I had a works-all-magic friction type anti sway bar between the A frame and the load distribution hitch on our '77 Dodge van (dumb thinking!). I was aware of the physics associated with towing but ignored them thinking an anti-sway bar would change conventional rules - not a good idea!

Sorry to write so much but I got bored with the so called Presidential debate and my perceived one-sided media commentary. I needed something else to do :mellow: .

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

We have been on the road from early May to November for the last ten years. I had a Ford 350 shoved out into an intersection by a 40' trailer and I realized at that moment that no pickup could safely tow such a large trailer. I currently have no trailer brakes. After a fire in a wheel, I spent $3,000 in repairs, replacing all the calipers and the damaged lines, but the brakes again don't work. (They worked long enough to get too far to from the repair facility to return.) No one on the Oregon coast where we are located can work on hydraulic trailer brakes, so I have to at least drive through the coastal mountain range to reach a large metro area like Eugene/Springfield, where repairs might be possible.

In another vehicle this might be a problem, but the Volvo's engine braking system means I will not have to use my brakes in the mountains. I'll leave twice the space I usually do between me and the vehicle ahead to keep from having to hit the brakes hard. I'm not sure what I would have done if my tow vehicle was a pickup.

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

Our first trip out the brake controller wasn't hooked up to air and the fiver pushed my HDT into an intersection, with the smart loaded. It stopped straight but I now have a pucker pattern in the drivers seat. I'm glad it happened where it did. I've got a lot of respect for trailer brakes now. It was a hard braking situation.

Mark & Jackie

Visalia, CA

USAF Ret

2011 Smart convertible

2014 Trilogy 3650 RE

2004 Volvo VNL780

Cummins ISX 530

13 speed

With a 5er pushing out LDT during a quick stop is what led us to an HDT. It happened to us twice while comming down steep grades. Once a semi pulled in front of us another they were doing road work without any warning. The trailer brakes were working and adjusted. It can be very unsettling and dangerous. With the HDT and trailer brakes we feel we feel we can stop a lot faster

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Archived