Updates on Mexico

telcoman

Please do not turn this thread into a slugfest on the dangers of Mexico. If you are scared to go down there, that is fine no one is forcing you to. I have no issues with it, and this is information for those who wish to give it a go. I was a block away when the congresswoman was shot in Texas, I was passing through Roseville, Ore when the college massacre occured, and I live 30 min north of the Burlington mall in WA where 5 were shot a couple of weeks ago, and shop there often. There is a drug war in a community near where I live. I can't imagine Mexico being much worse, and in my considerable experience, it isn't. It's all perspective. You can always be in the wrong place at the wrong time, anywhere.

Hassles getting permits:

In the Spring I was getting reports of people with 3/4 ton & 1 ton trucks being denied permits based on weight. The rules state no more than 7710 lbs of cargo capacity, but border officials were interpreting this as GVW. The company I am a wagon master for, hired lawyers in Mexico City to pursue this. The problem was tracked to down to one official in Banjercito, who has now been dismissed. Hopefully there will be no more issues. There are no weight restrictions on Class A, B or C's. You cannot bring HDT's into Mexico, F450 & F550 PU's are doubtful. This does not apply to Baja or Sonora as far south as San Carlos. Permits are about $60, good for 180 days. There is a $200-$400 deposit on Pickups or towed cars. You get that back. Class A's, B's & C's get a 10 year permit, no deposit. Same for trailers & 5th wheels (units themselves not the PU)

Mexican Insurance:

US & Canadian Insurance is not valid in Mexico, you need to buy Mexican Insurance. It is not all created equal. Ensure you have 500K or liability and ensure they will pay US labor rates (about $125 per hour) if you have to have repairs done in the uS. I recommend Lewis & Lewis. Vagabundo del Mar members can also check out their insurance.

Guns:

Don't even think of trying to take one, or ammo, into Mexico. You can store guns at the Tucson skeet club.

Toll Highways:

Mexico's network of modern Toll highways is rapidly expanding. They are expensive, but a lot safer (less chance of an accident). You cannot use US dollars or credit cards at toll booths.

Trailer & 5th wheels:

You cannot buy trailer tires in Mexico, I recommend you carry a second spare off rim. You may be able to find a light truck tire in the right size, in a pinch. Topes (speed bumps) of which there are 1000's, are tough on suspension shackles. Most shackles sold with trailers are designed for people who go to the lake for 2 weeks a year, not mexico. Consider changing them out for lubricated versions that are heavy duty like those made by MoRyde. See http://www.mexicocaravan.com/suspension.html to see what I mean.

ULSD Diesel (mid 2007 & up Pickups)

Pemex is still not refining much ULSD diesel. We have had customers who have ignored it on trips up to 3000 miles with no ill effect, as long as they keep the vehicle under load. I would not take a truck under warrantee into Mexico, however because of this. You can remove the DPF filter in some jurisdictions. Pemex has promised ULSD by the end of 2017, but they also did that in 2009 & 2015. Competition to Pemex (notably Gulf Oil) has begun and stations are now free to import fuel. My latest reports are that 40% of fuel sold in Mexico, is now US fuel which probably means a lot of the northern half of the country is ULSD, but there is no way to tell. No station marks it. DEF fluid is available at Autozones in Mexico. I checked ones in Mazatlan, Guanajuato & Patzcuaro last year and found it in all of them.

Ted White has done a lot of research on this, here is what he has to say:

Based on all of the available data, none of the Ford, GM, or Dodge diesel pickups up to, and including, the 2010 model year, have any significant issues with the higher sulfur levels in Mexican fuel. I do not have in my files a single reported case of a problem for any pre-2011 Ford or Dodge diesels.

GM Duramax diesels 2007.5, 2008, and 2009 exhibit no issues other than smoky blue exhaust during regeneration cycles as the sulfur compounds burn out of the emissions system. GM Duramax diesels 2010 sometimes turn on the Check Engine Light for a while between regenerations but are "self-healing".

Ford diesels 2011 (when DEF was introduced) through 2015 appear to have zero problems. I have ONE 2016 Ford case on file but I suspect this was due to a component failure, not Mexican diesel fuel.

I do not have a single case on file of any Dodge diesel, of any year, having issues any worse than the Check Engine light on from time to time. Dodge diesels do suffer from generous consumption of DEF while on Mexican diesel.

I do not recommend any GM Duramax owner 2011 through 2016 going in to Mexico unless they first work with me to learn how to manage the serious reactions their trucks will have to Mexican diesel.

So, based on my database records, and the reports of owners on line over the years since 2008;

I would allow GM diesels through 2009.
I would allow Ford diesels through 2015
I would allow Dodge diesels of any year

I would not recommend GM diesels 2011 and later unless they could show that they had worked with me to learn how to manage their trucks. PM me for his email if you need it.

Safety:

This is always a concern to many. I have spent 6 months a year driving all over Mexico for 10 years, with absolutely no trouble. I have led several caravans. The biggest danger is physical damage to your rig if you do not know where you are going. Low trees, archways, etc. There are over 500 campgrounds in Mexico, about 350 suitable for RV's, many with full hookups. Max 30 amp

Power:

Anyone Rving in Mexico must protect their rig against bad power. This means too high or too low voltage. Surgeguard, Progressive Industries & Camco all make devices to do this. They cost $200-$300.

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

Thanks for all the info. My wife and I love Mexico and used to go often but I must admit that, despite what you are saying, that I am afraid of taking our Chevy 2007+ diesel very far into MX. I'm sure you are right that we would be safe in doing so. It's just that we live on a budget and can't afford a possible big $$ bill if something happened to the truck. So for now we limit it to Puerto Penasco, which is certainly an Americanized MX.

Re Topes: You are right!! We flattened out a spring several years ago when we didn't see a tope in time and hit it at about 30 mph! LOL First our heads almost hit the roof of the truck and then the trailer took the brunt of it.

Once they get ULSD we will be the first to head further South. We just love the Country.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Archived