Tilting solar panels---Be sure you tilt ALL panels wired in series

Al F

No doubt tilting your solar panels will increase their power output. However if you have panels wired in series, you MUST tilt all panels in a series string or you will not see an increase in output.

I bring this up in case folks with tilting panels may not want to tilt all panels. They may only tilt a few, thinking that will be good enough. However if any of the panels in a series string are left down no benefit will come form the tilting.

Here is a great article and video from "Gone With The Wynns" showing the effects and benefits of tilting the solar panels.

While watching the video, pay close attention to the 2:10 minute to 3:00 minute time frame. The total amp output stays in the 36-38 amp range until the 6th and last panel goes up. Then the amperage jumps to about 51 amps.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Current is the same through a series circuit, voltage is the same in a parallel circuit. Ohm's Law, it's not just a suggestion.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Current is the same through a series circuit, voltage is the same in a parallel circuit. Ohm's Law, it's not just a suggestion.

True for a circuit with passive components, not exactly when figuring in semiconductor power cells. It is complicated, Sandia Labs used to have some free publications on solar design calculations. Well worth reading (for most of the winter) but the packet weighed about 50 pounds and my mail service (skinny old lady) called me several names when it arrived, wife did the same when she got our forwarding bill.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Stan, what would that weigh, as an electronic download? :lol::lol:

Of course, I was being mildly facetious earlier. Generally, series circuits behave the same, all around the (electronics) world. Bypass diode numbers would have made a difference in the surprise factor here.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Agreed, adding bypass diodes would negate my statement of "you MUST tilt all panels in a series string or you will not see an increase in output".

Please provide details about the bypass diodes. Do you install them in the junction box or just where? Reference to a schematic or wiring diagram with the bypass diodes installed would be a fantastic education tool.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Al, Where bypass diodes go is usually a design issue for the panel, if you get one without all you can do is add them to the junction box and use them to bypass the entire panel. Internal bypass diodes, ones built into the panel can bypass each individual cell, groups of cells or the entire panel.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived